Alfred ABRAHAM 9 f.405/11 37
Edwin “ 4
Elizabeth “ 35 wife
Mary “ 8
William “ 30 Head of
It still stands as a converted house in Trafalgar Lane. Its presence was known to exist in 1871.
Also it once had a bowling ally and practice room for the Newport Town Band.
1878 Thomas DUNNE
1885 Mrs M A CHIVERTON
1889 Mrs Olive CHANDLER
1910 Leonard RUSSELL
Licensing Magistrates for 12 March 1910 received a report from Police Sergeant Hutchins that he never saw more than 6 customers present. The tenant did very little trade and it was considered that the establishment was not necessary as the Cranbourne was in close proximatery. The licence was referred to the Compensation Authority at Winchester.
The Corner House – No.22 New Street
Situated on the corner of Trafalgar Road and New Street.
1852 William MEECH – brewer and beerhouse keeper
1886 Henry Thomas CANT – beerhouse keeper, died 1906
1906 Mary Jane CANT – continued business until 1932 when the premises were closed
1930 C F HISCOCK
Wet fish shop
New Street Brewery
B WHITMARSH – Wholesale and Retail Brewer
Brewery Bar [renamed The Globe & Laurel]
1879 Charles DASHWOOD
1915 William STAY
1920-4 Mrs Sarah O’NEILL
1927-39 William Henry BAKER
1951 Mrs E BAKER
1970 renamed the Globe
1976 renamed Globe & Laurel
4 Rosali House [flats 1-10]
Trafalgar Court [flats 1-20]
1-6 Cottage House / Mews
Corner building owned by Mr WARDALE, a retired minister together with 7 old cottages became the replacement site for Portland House Academy in 1865 to 1928. The original only had 13 pupils.
Pupils: Sir Arthur Percy Morris FLEMING b. Jan. 1881 d. 1960 – Electrical engineer.
Parents – Farther – Frank FLEMING. Mother – Fanny MORRIS
William Joseph SCOTT – 1882
John Curtis MILLGATE b. 1867. Left 1882 ? Articled to William Tucker STRATTON
This tablet marks the site of Portland House Academy established by Mr Robert BARNES in 1865 and continued by R Barnes & Son until 1928. Erected by the Old Boys in grateful remembrance of happy days.
A tablet was erected on exterior wall marking the site of the former and was unveiled by a former pupil, Ald. J C MILLGATE, J.P. On 10 November 1936.
The site was eventually taken over by H W MOREY & SONS LTD. In 1936.
Saw Mill and Timber Yard
Further Timber yard
Malcolm Dyer Court
alleyway to rear of properties of West Street and Portland Street
5 Star Hand Car Wash + [P] Parking
Portland Street with corner of Carisbrooke Road, a small building named Portland House Academy in 1865.
1-19 houses with Bignor Place over one
19-21 The Maisonette
27 Sir John Barleycorn
1871-78 William H WINTER
1879 William MEECH
1885 J B COOKE
1889 M EOODFORD
1898 George Mark SMITH
1901-11 George H SMITH/Publican/53
Sarah J Smith/Wife/49
Albert E Smith/Son/5
Neva M NEWNHAM/Boarder, Ship Assistant Draper/24
1915 George Mark SMITH
1920 Frederick James SMITH
1924-27 Joe REYNOLDS
1939 Frank SNELGROVE
1951 Mrs E WEBB
This little pub was a favourite watering hole for yard workers of Morey’s builders suppliers. After closure the pub and adjacent building were demolished to make way for Morey’s new yard and warehouse on the south side of Trafalgar Road. Morey’s Timber renamed Jewson’s
East View 2, 2a, 2b
73 1880s Mrs F CHEVERTON – Ginger Beer Manufacturer
Crab & Lobster “Beer Shop”
Situated somewhere between East and West View on the south side of Trafalgar Road.
1855 Joseph ANDERSON
West View 1-11 & 2-8
Rolands Terrace Fl 1-4
Trafalgar Road continues but area comes under the control of the Parish of Carisbrooke or the Borough of Newport.
Willow Court fl 1-7
South View 1-11 and Nine Acres School