South Street— also called Cosham Street—14th and 15th centuries;
Was originally a boundary of the early town but then named Cosham Street after the Manor of Cosham. (see below)
Hearth Tax Returns for 1664-1674
|Alexander MACKETT||3||John COLLINS||2|
|Josias SMITH||2||John WAD–||2|
|Henry DYMARIS||2||Richard TANSOME||2|
|Widdow LAURENCE||1||James REDSTONE||1|
|Richard VINSON||1||William CURLEWE||1|
|Robert LEIGH||1||Richard MINGHAM||2|
|Elias TOLMAN||1||John VINEING||2|
|Henry FIVEFOLD||1||David BRETT||1|
|Widdow MATHEWES||2||Thomas PAINE||2|
|Nathaniell MARTELL||1||William WEBBER||1|
|Thomas HARBOWE||2||Walte ? & John LAN ?||2|
|Josias SMITH||2||John CURLUE||2|
|Henry FIVEFOLD||2||William CURLUE||1|
|Richard TANSOME||2||Elias TOLMAN||2|
|Judith VINING||2||Rebecca BRETT||2|
|William MATHEWS||2||Alice MINGHAM||2|
|Nathaniel MARTELL||1||Abraham VINSON||1|
|Thomas LONG||2||George LOVE|
|James REDSTONE||2||Widdow LO [NG]||1|
|YEAR 1673||Widdow MAGGETT|
|Henry COLLINS||Leon: BARTllWOOD|
|John REEVES||Mr MANN|
|YEAR 1674||Widdow MAGETT||3|
|John COLLINGS/HENRY||3||Leonard BARTLEWOOD||1|
|John REEVES||1||Mr MAN||2|
|Exemptions 1673-4||Henry FIVEFOLD||2|
|Richard TANSOME||2||Elias TOLEMAN||2|
|Judith VINING||2||Margarett LACY||2|
|Alice MINGHAM||2||Nathaniell MARTELL||1|
|Abraham VINSON||1||Thomas LONG||2|
|Widdow BOLLEN||1||Barnabas MEATAM||1|
Cosham Manor House, stood on the east side of Church Litten and South side of South Street. It was a rambling Elizabethan structure with the usual stories of secret passages and societies. In Elizabethan days it was believed to have been occupied by members of the James family, then Godshouse of Southampton, and in the 17th century passing to Queen’s College, Oxford. The manor house was pulled down in 1851.
1802 John YOUNG
South street was the undesirables to the upper echelons of Newport Society. Here the slaughterhouses, candle makers, malt houses, marine suppliers and the labouring classes. Here were the small enclosed yards surrounded by tiny houses with a central water pump where a lack of sanitation compounded the pitiful squalor.
The market house in the main square was just opposite the west end of the church.
South Street has undergone many changes over the years with older houses being demolished to make way for larger commercial properties.
1819 Hampshire Telegraph
To Brewers, Innkeepers, and Victuallers. Freehold Inn and Tavern with excellent Tap, Brewery and eight tenements.
To be sold at Auction by Messrs Haydon & Hendy, at Garraway’s, Cornhill.
A most desirable and valuable Freehold Inn, the Tontine, situated in the centre of the market place, in Newport, Isle of Wight.
The House is respectable and in excellent repair, consisting of a well-fitted-bar and liquor shop, two parlours, large kitchen, dining room and six bedrooms; also a modern brewery attached and erected on the most approved principle, from which is retailed 20 – 30 barrels per week; likewise a good tap-house, and eight Tenements, which pay 150/- per annum; good garden, a stable, a malt and hop loft, and a rainwater tank to hold 60 hogs-head of water.
This is the only house in the Island which brews its own beer; and the whole will be sold with great advantage to the buyer, from the Proprietor being obliged by extreme ill-health to retire from business.
The premises are so arranged that the Inn may be let off with advantage, and the Brewery and Tap occupied together, there being a distinct entrance to the same.
1828 Henry PARKER
1859 Ed HOWES
1871 Robert CROSS
1878-79 George CROSS
1888 no record in Kelly’s directory, however the building remained until demolishing in the 1970s
1854 Elizabeth WATSON – prostitute, Tontine yard
1862 Elizabeth STERRETT – prostitute, Tontine yard
1882 William STRATTON – local architect owned nine houses in the Tontine yard.
24 Malt & Hops
1898 Arthur CROSS
1901 Arthur H Cross/Basket Maker & Inn Keeper/32
Ernest HACKETT/Stepson, Basket Maker/14
Harry HACKETT/Boarder, General Labourer/30
1950s Collection of stores, warehouses and private accommodation
St James’s Street corner, is GAME, a games console store.
22 Arora Tattoo Studio
Smart Training & Recruitment Ltd
Pearl Assurance House (pic)
Mainstop store bought by
International Store who in turn became Gateway; Somerfield supermarket and now
T K MAX plus loading bay
Cockram’s Yard on the site of a new supermarket uncovered pits containing medieval material. Excavation of a section of 17th century water pipe in the High Street during 1980 revealed a layer of burnt material which has been interpreted as evidence of the 1377 French raid (Tomalin and Scaife 1987). Building work at Sea Street in 1980 revealed a pit containing sherds of a Saintonge jugdating from the mid 13th to 14th century (Nelson 1984). An evaluation excavation at South Street indicated good survival of archaeological deposits and a significant level of medieval activityincluding traces of walls, whilst a substantial assemblage of medieval pottery recovered from a pit and two features on the site was suggestive of a possible kiln site (Michaels 2004). At Lugley Street medieval pits and gullies and a stratified medieval deposit were recorded during a developer-funded excavation (Southern Archaeological Services 2005) but hardly any medieval material was recorded during the recent redevelopment of Newport Bus Station (Wilson and Edmunds 2006, 6-7).
33 59th Street Ltd
Amos Hill Developments Ltd
Readers Trading Ltd
33a Readers The Gallery
35 Southern Vectis Social Club
37 Prince of Wales (pic)
1868 James HOLLIS
1871 James HOLLIS/Licensed Victualler & Mason/47
Walter Hollis/Son, Wheelwright/21
Emily JOLLIFFE/Boarder, Domestic Servant/17
1881 Henry CARWARDINE/Licensed Victualler/23
Thomas Carwardine/Son/2 months
1885-98 Thomas Frederick CARWARDINE
1891 Thomas Frederick Carwardine/Publican/41
Mary Ann Carwardine/Wife/40
Mary Ann Thornley/Niece/11
In 1909 when the then Licensing Magistrates on the grounds of redundancy closed the Green Dragon in Pyle Street, the tap survived, having changed its name to the Prince of Wales in the mid 19th century. In 1926 Mew Langtons decided to rebuild it in Mock Tudor style.
1911 James George SMITH
1920-7 Richard TEATHER
1939 Mrs Ann TEATHER
1947-51 Mrs Doris TEATHER
1970s Ron TEATHER
40 Corner restaurant, empty
41 Dolls House, 3 story building
Early C19 but with mid C19 decoration added to windows and roof altered. 2 storeys and double attic. Grey headers and red brick dressings. Steep pitch gable and roof with shaped tiles. 2 dormers to each attic the lower ones break through bracketed wood eaves which have a scalloped edge. 2
windows 1st floor, one small in wood frame, the other broad recessed, sash, glazing bars, rendered block sill. Low pitch gable over with bargeboards and finial. Similar treatment to ground floor window. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels, narrow rectangular fanlight. Unusual doorcase added
flanked to half its height by rendered pilasters with reeding, crowned by cherubs heads, then carved wood brackets above to gable with barge-boards and finial as on windows. A curiosity in its decorative details.
Listing Grade: II 1 February 1972
42 Star Signings (IOW)
44-50 Auto Windscreens
2007 ATS Euromaster Vehicle Repairs
52 Valiant Soldier
1828-30 Mary COATES – Innkeepers
1871-75 James HARRIS – Licensed Victualler & Smith plus family
1881 Jerima COOKE – Licensed Victualler, Widow + son & daughter
1885 Henry CARWARDINE
1889-91 William MATTHEWS – now Publican, wife, 3 sons & 2 daughters
Alfred ROACH – Brother-in-law
1898 William MATTHEWS
1901 William MATTHEWS – Landlord, wife, 4 daughters, son
William Matthews jun. – Assistant Boot & Shoe Shop, 16 years
Alfred Matthews – Tailor assistant, 14 years
Alfred ROACH – Brother-in-law – Domestic Gardener
Emily Roach – Sister-in-law – Barmaid
Herbert SMITH – Adopted son, Railway Engine cleaner, age 19
52 2009 Samaritans
Market Place – Block of flats
71 The Publican PH Demolished 2012 (see entry East Street)
There was also a bridge, called Pan Bridge, at the eastern end of South Street, and there was probably a bridge carrying St James’ Street across the Lukely Brook at the northern edge of the town.
River Medina (stream) with park (pic)
15 Sept. 1928 Cattle market was moved to South Street
Southern Vectis Bristol RE 863 passes the Cattle Market in South Street Newport on August 12th 1983. The market building, along with it’s immediate neighbours succumbed to the inevitable march of progress. The driver is Bob Haycocks who at the time of writing is still with Southern Vectis (2008)
Sept.1989 Safeway opened a store on the site. Company ceased November 2005.
March 2004 purchased by Morrisons
1930’s Smith & Whitehead Garage
1932 Canning Day Ltd, founded 28 July – see also entry under Church Litten.
Prior to 1861 this area came under the Parish of Carisbrooke and was eventually included within the Borough of Newport.
Newport bus station was built in the 1960s facing South Street where the current shopping centre is located. For buses entering the bus station, they turned straight off South Street, and parked at one of the stands in the bus station. Buses leaving the bus station left at an exit next to Inland Revenue offices on the other side of the bus station. Prior to bus lanes being put in, all buses followed the east to west flow of traffic along this section of South Street. At the front of the bus station was an area for bus parking. Towards the back were stands for Island Explorer and Route Rouge routes. There were other stands in the middle for Newport Town services such as routes 38 and 39. Another stand was located at the back near the Inland Revenue offices.
The plans for redevelopment were first revealed in September 2003 for 60,000 square feet (5,600 m2) of retail space to be created on the old bus station site. Plans were finally approved almost a year later in July 2004. The approved plans were slightly different from those originally lodged, with only 50,000 square feet (4,600 m2) of retail space and a reduced number of shops
Redevelopment started from the old bus station from summer 2005. During this time a temporary bus lane was set up alongside Church Litten with bus shelters erected in South Street Car Park. Buses set down in the bus lane, and stopped to pick up passengers at one of the three bus stands in Church Litten, lettered A, B or C.
Newport Bus station has since been rebuilt and is located off Orchard Street with the frontage being taken up new shopping premises
|Unit 4||Sports Direct|
|Unit 3||Peacocks closed 2012|
|Unit 3B||Jane Norman|
|Unit 2||New Look|
Here is exit of bus services
4 to 10 (consec)
With No 11 which is also No 38 South Street Early C19 or possibly bit earlier.
Nos 8 and 10 – 3 storeys the others 2 storeys.
Nos 4, 6, 7, 9 and 10 in chequered brick with red brick dressings.
No 5 red brick and
No 8 purple grey headers with red brick dressings. Old tile gable end roofs to Nos 4 and 7.
Nos 8, 9 and 10 slate roofed, No 8 with capped gable and No 10 with full hipped roof. One window per house,
Nos 7 and 10 with 2. Moulded flush wood frames to Nos 4 and 5 the latter with casements and
glazing bars, later casements to Nos 9 and 10, segmental brick arches over. The other windows, recessed, sash, flat brick arches, block sills.
No 8 retaining early shop front of bow window with glazing bars, frieze and cornice. Its door is recessed, of 4 fielded panels, doorcase of reeded pilasters bracketed frieze and cornice.
No 10 ground floor is a restaurant, other doorways of plain cottage type.
1828-39 John ADAMS – Baker 1828-30 Cornelius DYER – Grocer & General dealer
J HAYDEN – Grocer & General dealer 1830 Christopher HARE – Boot & Shoe maker
Joseph ALLEY – Brazier & Tin-man John BRAD – Currier & Leather cutter
John ADAMS – Shopkeeper & dealer in sundries James TRIMEN – Surveyor
1839 C. DYER – Carpenter John GRAPES – Tinman & Brazier
William MORRIS – Shoe maker