1st mentioned after 16th century
1608 Andrew Levandela. Dwelling house and garden, late Newport Chantry. PRO E315/359
(South East Side)
Nos 1 & 2
Early C19. Plain but well proportioned. 3 storeys, purple grey brick with red brick dressings. Low pitch hipped slate roof. One window each, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat brick arches. Round headed doorways with semi-circular fanlights. 3 steps.
Listing NGR: SZ5010689302 Grade II 1 February 1972
Harry Jupe, cattle dealer – 1889
Premises Crown Court – 1990s
3 Frederick James Croucher born here (1879-1881)
6 Crouchers Ltd – 1908
10 & 11
One building, early C19 3 storeys stucco. Hipped slate roof, plain wood eaves, bands between storeys as sill course to 1st floor. 4 windows 2nd floor recessed sash, glazing bars, block sills. 1st floor 3 windows in moulded rendered surrounds, sash glazing bars except in tripartite window
of No 10. Ground floor as on 1st floor but without surrounds. Doorways paired, recessed doors of 6 fielded panels, flanked by Doric pilasters with plain stucco frieze and cornice over.
Listing NGR: SZ5009889281 Grade II 1 October 1953
12 & 13
Pair of houses, but one late C17 or early C18 building. Painted brick. 2 storeys. High plinth. Heavy plain wood modillion eaves cornice. 2 windows to each house, the ground floor being joined. Old tile roof. 2 dormers. No 12 has a moulded brick band, and No 13 continues the line of this with plain wood. No 12 has a 6-panel door with rectangular hood, with heavy moulding, on wood brackets. No 13 has a recessed door with panelled reveals, and a small wood C18 doorcase with open modillion pediment.
Listing NGR: SZ5009189264 Grade II 1 October 1953
A H Cross & Co.
Endole c/o A H Cross & Co
Nos 17 to 21 (consec) form a group
No 17 (Town Clerk’s Office)
Mid C18. Stuccoed with old tile roof. 3 windows, all modernised, 2 dormers. Plinth. Wood doorcase with open modillion pediment, simple fanlight and panelled reveals.
Listing NGR: SZ5007789260 1.10.53.
Henry Richard Hooper – clerk-Barton Burial – 1889
17 Quay Street is a substantial Grade II Listed terrace property most recently used as Council offices, in the heart of Newport and within the Newport Conservation area. The property extends over three floors and has a courtyard style garden to the rear. Planning permission for change of use from current office accommodation to residential was granted in January 2005.
The property was conveyed to the Council in 1944 and has had several uses since that time including being leased to the Citizens Advice Bureau during the early 1990’s and more recently used as office accommodation for the Councils own Leisure Services. In winter 2007, Leisure
Services vacated the building and relocated to the Guildhall.
Early C19. 3 storeys. Purple brick with red brick dressings. One window. Round headed door with simple fanlight and 2 moulded panels.
Listing NGR: SZ5007289252 Grade II 1 February 1972
Nos 19 & 20
One mid C18 building in chequered brick, with band and high plinth. Eaves cornice with ball ornament. 6 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills. Slate roof with one dormer. 2 very good doorcases, both with panelled reveals. No 19 has fluted pilasters and shallow moulded cornice. 6 panel door with rectangular fanlight containing an elliptical traceried light. No 20 has narrow fluted pilasters, moulded brackets, and an open moulded pediment and traceried rectangular fanlight.
Listing NGR: SZ5006089243 Grade II 1.10.53.
19 Official Receivers Office (1900)
19-21 RJR Solicitors
Late C18 gault brick. Old tile roof. 2 windows, one upper wood bay. Good wood doorcase with frieze of “Chinese” design, and projecting pediment with panelled soffit on moulded brackets.
Listing NGR: SZ5006089243 1.10.53.
John Curtis Millgate, born 1867 lived here in 1914. He was educated at Portland House Academy, Articled to William Tucker Stratton of Newport and commenced independent pratice in architure in 1891.
Ernest I Smith & Son – 1971
24 Edwin Broomfield
In 1860 the Post Office was at the top of Quay Street next to the Town Hall.
Fire Brigade, Town Hall (1889)
Nos 27 to 31 (consec) form a group
No 27 Warburton’s Hotel
This was originally built in 1732 and was once the home of the Mayor of Newport and later to a succession of Surgeons. mid-Victorian hotel constructed to cater to the gentry and those further up the social ladder. Indeed by 1900 the County Press reported that the hotel”which is one of the few hostelries enjoying the distinction of catering for the Royal Household, have received the Royal Warrant of Appointment and the Royal Coat of Arms of attractive design, now occupying a prominent position in the alcove of the hotel front.
It was also an important auction house and many properties and land sales were transacted under its auspices.
With the demise of the Bugle the hotel has prospered as a central hosteelry for travellers and The Hotel was named Calverts in 1970 and now provides 32 en-suite bedrooms, bars, restaurant and function rooms. continues today under the name of Calverts Hotel.
1871 John Grove
1878 Robert Stratton
1889 Herbert George Groundsell – hon. Secretary-IOW Cycling Club
1897 Walter Thomas James
1911 Mr Hinds
1924/7 George Sims Richardson
1939 Leslie Thomas Green
1951 Miss. V Kight
Late C18 with good wood frieze, and parapet. Cement rendering detracts from the general effect. 3 storeys. 3 windows, the 2 upper storeys having bays, with a central niche between them, over the entrance door, both door and niche having plain stone architraves. Rusticated plinth sides.
Listing NGR: SZ5000189226 1.10.53.
Next to Calverts runs a long narrow Watchbell Lane.
Nos 28 to 40 (even) form a group
Nos 28 to 30 (consec)
Early C19 row of 3 storeyed houses, grey headers with yellow brick dressings. Low pitch gable end slate roof with projecting eaves, rendered band between storeys. 2 windows per house, recessed, sash, glazing bars intact on 2nd floor, flat brick arches, block sills. Late C19 shop front No 28, modern No 29. No 30 office dated 1880, pointed windows, with keystones incised decoration on arches. Frieze of decorated tiles and central ceramic plaque.
Listing NGR: SZ5000489232 1 February 1972
Joseph Grove, curator, IOW Museum (1889)
S W Wendes – 1971
Solent Co – marketing and communications – Suite 7. -2006
Bluebird Care (IOW) – home care agency – Suite 6. – 2013
British Marine Federation, Isle of Wight Branch.. Secretary Tim Anderson.
BMF membership covers a wide variety of marine based industries with many growth areas developing around research and developments and technologies associated with marine manufacturing.
Neil Hamer – Analytical Psychotherpist
Island Holiday Media Ltd
Early C19 2 storeys purple grey headers with red brick dressings. Roof hidden by red brick parapet with stucco coping. Stucco block cornice continues line of string course on adjoining row. 2 windows, recessed, sash, stucco surrounds, projecting segmental arches, block sills. 1 console survives to each. Ground floor tripartite window with same surround as above and with a keystone. Recessed entrance with side lights, door of 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, camber headed fanlight.
Listing NGR: SZ5001089242 1 February 1972
31 Police Station (1889)
Methodist Church, built as the Bible Christian church 1879-80, by Frederick Mew. Wildly Gothic front with gables and asymmetrical pointed turret in great contrast to the Baptish church frontage of seven years earlier.
Nos 35 to 39 (consec) and 41 form a group
Nos 35 to 37 (consec)
Same premises. Early C19, 3 small houses of 2 storeys. No 36 refaced in red brick. Nos 35 and 37 grey headers with red brick dressings. Gable end slate roofs, wood eaves cornice to Nos 35 and 36, eaves hidden by frieze and raised cornice No 37, which has stone bandbetween storeys and stone plinth. 2 windows No 35 segment headed recessed, sash, block sills. Frame of mid C19 shop front with panelled pilasters, brackets supporting cornice. No 36 has one window sash, moulded flush wood architrave camber headed with rubbed brick segmental arch, block sill. Ground floor square window with plain wood architrave, red header flat arch carried over garage door, in plain wood frame. No 57 2 windows; one tripartite, sash, glazing bars, camber headed, the other in slightly recessed bay, narrower, square headed, also with glazing bars. Ground floor tripartite window as
above. Recessed door of 3 fielded panels with a semi circular fanlight, architrave, rubbed brick arch over.
Listing NGR: SZ5003789272 1 February 1972
Frederick Blake – solicitor (1889)
Parker & Gurney-Champion – solicitors
Early C19, 3 storeys stucco with rusticated ground floor. Slate roof hidden behind cornice and parapet. 4 windows the centre 2 breaking forward, recessed, sash, glazing bars End floor, block sills, the centre 2 on 1st floor originally had venetian shutters and retain a small cast iron balcony. Round headed doorway each side, one leading to passage. The house door is recessed, of 3 fielded panels and has a traceried fanlight.
Listing NGR: SZ5004589274 1.10.53.
Late C18 chequered purple and red brick. Good wood eaves cornice. Slate roof. 2 dormers, 4 windows, no glazing bars. Good wood doorcase with engaged columns and open dentil pediment. Blind traceried fanlight. A slightly later frontage to a 2 storey extension, with 2 windows and 2
hipped dormers. The ground floor windows have round heads. Old tile roof.
Listing NGR: SZ5004989281
Smart Training & Recruitment
Island Volunteers 2002
Island P C Services Ltd
Town Council Offices
(Newport Quay Hotel)
2 storey purple and red (painted white) brick C18 house. 4 windows. 2 dormers. No glazing bars. Plinth, moulded wood eaves cornice, and old tile roof. A good late C18 moulded wood doorcase with engaged fluted columns, triglyph frieze and pediment.
Listing NGR: SZ5005489294 1.10.53.
Newport Quay Hotel, This 17th century Grade II listed property, with 12 en suite letting rooms, has a host of character features including timber beams, panelled walls, display plinths and fireplaces.
Shepard Bros. Ltd – carriers and removers
Lucas Fetter & Partners
Suites C And D, The Loft, High quality, modern town centre offices within a former architects studio, converted from a former chapel & warehouse development, 2 self contained office suites at first floor level.
The Children’s Society
Wight Mortgage Ltd
Nos 43 to 48 (consec) form a group
Nos 43 to 46 (consec)
Early C19 row of cottages. 2 storeys grey headers with red brick dressings, headers more yellow on Nos 45, 46. Gable end slate roof, shallow wood eaves cornice. Stone plinth to Nos 43, 44. No 43 is
larger with 2 windows, otherwise one per house, except 1st floor of No 45 where there are 2. All recessed, sash, glazing bars intact No 43, block sills, flat brick arches. Recessed doors of 6 and 4 fielded panels, doorcase of thin Doric pilasters and bracketed hoods.
Listing NGR: SZ5007989319
No 43 Quay House
No 45 John William Whyborn (1889)
Mid C19 3 storeys red brick with yellow brick dressings. Steep pitch tiled gable end roof. Inlaid yellow brick bands between storeys. 2 windows recessed, sash, block sills, segmental brick arches. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels, semi circular fanlight, yellow brick arch over.
Listing NGR: SZ5008789327
No 48 Dolphin Cottage
Early C18 house of 2 storeys painted brick. Gable end slate roof, wood eaves cornice band between storeys and plinth. 5 windows some with original casements and glazing bars, flush wood frames, block sills. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels, doorcase of Doric pilasters frieze and pediment.
Listing NGR: SZ5009289331
Henry Mew – shoemaker (1889)
No 49 (Dolphin Inn)
Corner of Quay Street qv. Early C18 red brick corner building. Purple brick bands. Plinth. Old tile roof, hipped. 5 windows, alternately blocked. 2 storeys. Plain mid C19 rectangular stucco doorcase. Dates on central bricks in the upper blocked windows, 1758, but this would appear to refer to the alterations at that date, as the house is probably earlier.
Listing NGR: SZ5010289337 1.10.53.
1854 Thomas Frampton
1859 Walter Woodnutt
1871 Walter Woodnutt
1871 James Woodnutt – Coal merchant & wife Ellen
1875 James Woodnutt
1878 James Woodnutt
1879 Charles Odell
1881 Charles Odell – Inn keeper and Coal merchant & wife Judith
Walter Woodnutt – Mariner
1885 Mrs Ellen Odell
1889 Bernard Rice
1891 Bernard Rice – Licensed Victualler & wife Lucy
1898 Warden Jay
1911 Edward Busby
1920 Mrs Mary Busby
1924 Mrs Mary Busby
1927 Mrs Mary Busby
1939 Mrs Sarah Pragnell
1951-1969 Mrs Pragnell