The area known as ‘Barton’ or ‘Barton Village’, on the east side of Newport, was named after a speculating builder called Barton who developed the area in the early part of the 19th century but lost a lot of money by doing so.
A pleasant suburban village, on the east side of the town of Newport, is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1844 out of Whippingham civil parish. St Paul’s church, on a site given by C. W. MARTIN esq., at a cost of £2040, the first stone being laid in 1840 and consecrated on 1 February, 1844, is an edifice of stone in the remain style, and consists of nave, chancel, and a shingled tower with spire, containing one bell. It was intended to accommodate 800 worshippers, including 200 free seats. The interior has been restored and redecorated at a cost of over £500, and a fine organ added, valued at over £800. An addition has been made, at a cost of £400, to the old burial ground, which is now controlled by a burial board of 9 members. The register dates from 1844. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £238 with residence, in the gift of the Rector of Whippingham and held since 1891 by the Rev. William Henry NUTTER M.A., of Christ’s College, Cambridge. The parsonage house at Staplers was built in1857, at a cost of £850, on a site given by C.WYKEHAM-MARTIN Esq., About £9 from the Shedden’s charity is distributed yearly. The principal landowners are F. MEW esq., and W. Major COOK..
|1844-1853||Rev. W D PARKER|
|1854-1890||Rev. W L SHARPE|
|1891-1909||Rev W H NUTTER|
|1910-1915||Rev. C COLLIS|
|1915-1937||Rev. M ATKINSON|
|1937-1946||Rev. A G KELSEY|
|1946-1963||Rev. L J D WHEATLEY|
|1963-1986||Rev. W BOARDMAN|
|1986-1989||Rev. A ANDREWS|
|1990-1995||Rev. Chris LANE|
|1996-2014||Rev. Dr. Peter PIMENTEL|
There is a stained glass window by Charles Eamer Kempe.
Burials in Old Cemetery
|Emma ARNOTT||’13 Mar 1897||Shide|
|1819-20||James ARNOTT||‘6 Mar 1907||Shide|
|1860-61||Mary Ann BAKER||‘1 June 1911||Barton|
|’30 Dec 1850||John MILNE||’31 July 1913||Shide|
These are a representative of the 621 records found from 1537 to date. For a full listing see: www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/church_burials
Source  Kelly’s Directory 1898
 Davenport Adams, William Henry (1862). Nelsons’ hand-book to the Isle of Wight. London:
Thomas Nelson. p.169.
The Buildings of England, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Nikolaus Pevsner