Horsemongers Lane, West Lane, Mill Street
The name change in 1861 was by the Corporation’s Paving Committee.
The first edition Ordnance Survey 25” scale map (1864) shows the site occupied by Home Mill, its associated millpond and an orchard. Home Mill straddles the millpond with the northern part of the mill extending beyond the present site boundary.
Home Mill was demolished sometime between WWII and 1962 when the dairy buildings were first shown on an Ordnance Survey map.
The north end of The Island Creameries has been built over the site of Home Mill. The millpond is occupied by the rest of the buildings right up to the mill cottages attached to Westminster Mill. The Lukely Brook runs in culverts under the Creameries.
This mill was at one time under the ownership of Leigh Thomas & Co. Ltd., who are still using Pan Mill.
Isle of Wight Creameries built 1936, had its factory and delivery premises on the site in Mill Street with Old Westminster Lane and Lukely Brook.
Jan 3rd 1963: MILK BOTTLES – Isle of Wight Creameries Ltd. have appealed to householders to return milk bottles as soon as they are emptied because of a threatened shortage.
1966: A winding up order has been made. At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Company duly convened and held on 22nd March 1966, the following Resolution was duly passed as a Special Resolution “That the company be wound up voluntarily and that John Wilfred Barter of Cow & Gate House, London Road, Guildford be and he is hereby appointed liquidator for the purpose of such winding-up.” Ernest E Taylor, Chairman (The London Gazette, 5th April 1966 pg. 4003)
Dairy Crest, Newport, Isle of Wight (01/12/2004)
Sale by auction of dairy processing plant and bottling equipment.
2007 Planning application for 46 sheltered apartments.
Building demolished to make way for McCathy & Stone development.
April 2011 – Planning application
23 Mill Lane former Dairy Crest site
Demolition of existing factory/warehouse. Propose 2/3 storey residential building comprising of 3 houses and 10 flats, detached house, formation of vehicular access and parking off Old Westminster Lane.
The Grand Cinema was simply a one floor as it had no upstairs seating. The commissionaire for the Grand was Jock HARPER, an ex-Army man, always resplendent in his maroon uniform.
The Anchor Brewery was one of many small breweries that existed in Newport in the 19th century and as a matter of course, brewer-bars or tap-bars were attached to them for their wares to be sampled. The Anchor Inn Saloon was attached to the brewery and was also known as Anchor Brewery Tap in 1852
1871 James MUFFIN was tenant landlord, with James COOPER being the brewer.
The building was adjacent to Unigate Dairy Crest Ltd.
From 90 High Street to Petticoat Lane, Carisbrooke
|1||1931||Frank GREATREX, motor engnr. – Mill Street Garage|
|5||1904-31||Isle of Wight Savings Bank|
|7||1904||George Y GROUNDSELL, builder|
|9||1904 (Lukely cott)
William R COLLINS
John Alban WOODFORD
|W B MEW LANGTON & CO. Ltd, brewers (stores)
Mrs GREENING (St. Beuno)
Frank Edward George ROBINSON
|13||1904-31||William H MORRIS, upholsterer|
|15||1921-31||Mrs CARPENTER (Crofton)|
|17||1921-31||Ernest COOPER, shopkeeper|
|19||1921||Percy WILLIAMS, builder|
|William CHEVERTON, beer retailer
|23||1931||J MEW & Son, breeze block makers|
|ARNELL BROTHERS, millers
THOMAS, GATER, BRADFIELD & Co. Ltd. Millers
Home Roller Mill
|no number||1904-21||John Henry HALE, dairyman|
|1904||William CREIGHTON, storeman|
|2||1931||William H SAUNDERS, upholsterer (workshop)|
|6||1921-31||Edward James BARTLETT|
|12||1904-31||James Morris SIBBICK|
|No number||1904||Ernest James ABRAHAM|