Named after Lugley or Lueley stream which rises in Rayners Grove some 3 miles to the west of the town (Stream of ‘Shining Way’)
4 1889 Mrs Elizabeth Jackman – midwife
No 6 Old Well House
Early C19 2 storeys red brick with grey headers, red brick dressings, rendered plinth. Low pitch gable end slate roof, shallow wood eaves cornice, wood block string course. 2 windows 1st floor recessed sash, glazing bars, flat brick arches, block sills. Tripartite recessed ground floor window, sash glazing bars, moulded strips, flat brick arch, block sill. Modern recessed door, plain wood reveals, semi-circular fanlight, rubbed brick arch over on reeded imposts. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4994889288 Grade II 1 February 1972.
No 8 Watchbell House
Mid C18 house in purple brick. 2 storeys. 5 windows. Old tile roof. 2 dormers. Central door with 6 panels, in plain wood case with small hood. Right hand ground floor window of 3 lights. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4994289281 Grade II 1 October 1953.
Watchbell House Natural Therapy Centre
No 10 The Blue School, Newport 1633-1971 (the school existed 1761-1907)
1761 Ann DASHWOOD – Mistress
Blue Coat School – girl’s
1830 Sarah TUCKER – Mistress
Wight & Green
Early C19 3 storeys red brick with grey headers, red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof, gable to street with projecting eaves. One window, recessed, sash, glazing bars, flat brick arches. Recessed door of 3 fielded panels with panelled reveals and soffit, plain wood doorcase, reeded band to frieze, projecting cornice.
Listing NGR: SZ4992289280 Grade II 1972
1889 George YOUNG – Insurance agency
2015 Jenny Guy – Chropidist
Late C18 2 storeys painted brick. Gable end old tile roof. Gabled dormer, wood eaves cornice and wide frieze added, brick frieze with headers projecting below. One window, sash, moulded flush wood frames, camber headed with segmental brick arches, block sills. Recessed door of 5 fielded panels, panelled reveals and soffit. Plain wood doorcase probably later, frieze and projecting shallow cornice.
Listing NGR: SZ4991889278 Grade II 1972
Nos 16 & 18
Late C18 3 storeys painted brick. Gable end old tile roof wood eaves cornice. Irregular fenestration No 16 having 2 windows sash, moulded flush wood frames. Recessed doors in small moulded wood
doorcase.Listed Buildings Listing NGR: SZ4991189281 Grade II 1 February 1972.
Blue Placque Renovated by the Trust 1995
18 flats 1-2
Battle of Waterloo or Railway Tavern
1828 George GRANGER – Innkeeper
1830 Ann SAUNDERS -Innkeeper
On the 1850 Ordnance Survey map on the eastern side of Chain Lane is listed as the Railway Tavern.
Borough Petty Sessions. James KNIGHT applied for the transfer of the licence but was opposed by the Police. Licence refused. (Isle of Wight Observer 18 Jan 1868)
Borough Petty Sessions. The licence of the Railway Tavern was endorsed over from Mr BRADDOCK to Mr James Knight. Isle of Wight Observer 8 February 1868)
Notice of Auction
Messrs Francis Pittis & Son are instructed to Sell by Auction
by order of the executors of the late Mr Samuel James GOODWIN
At the Bugle Hotel, in Newport
on Wednesday, 27th January, 1869
at six o’clock in the evening the Freehold Property known as Railway Tavern
Lugley Street & Chain Lane Newport I.W. – being a well arranged
Free Public House & Quarter Malt-House, Brewery, Coach-house, Stabling, and out-buildings, with yard and a Well yielding an excellent supply of pure Water.
The Premises are admirably adapted for the business and offer an excellent opportunity to any party desirous of going into the Brewing and Malting Trade.
The property after the sale became Fred TRIM’S fruit and vegetable warehouse.
22-24 Earl Mountbatten Hospice Shop
Kiss Puppy Sophie’s Shop – closed
51 The Beehive
This little pub was situated between the two entrances of the former Premier Motors workshops, the site itself having been demolished and an open area created at the end of Chain Lane. The pub appears in 1867 directory and closed in 1916 when the licence was made redundant
1859 John COOK
1871 Sam WOODBINE
1878 Edwin DOBER
1915 Frederick CROSS
1881-98 James CUSHEN/Cooper & Inn Keeper/46
Jane – Wife, Dressmaker/40
James Cushen/Son, Cooper/18
1901 Jane CUSHEN/Licensed Victualler, Widow/61
James Cushen/Son, Cooper/38
Kathleen N Young/Grand Daughter
1911-20 Frederick CROSS
44-46 Samaritians shop
Pearsons – closed
Twell & Co
Mid C19 commercial premises. 3 storeys, painted brick. Hipped slate roof with projecting eaves, rendered blockstring course, 3 windows, the outer ones narrow, recessed, sash, no glazing bars, block sills, flat arches. Broad projecting central bay with full width windows divided into 8 panes, flanked by Doric pilasters. Frieze and concave cornice. Ground floor retains frame of period shop front: large central window plate glass but with 4 lunettes in upper part presumably top of original panes, flanked by colonettes, recessed window to west and to east double doors panelled below with round headed lights above also flanked by colonettes, as on central windows ground floor and 1st floor, rectangular fanlight above. 4 Doric pilasters support plain frieze and cornice. 3 storey bay to east with double loft doors 1st and 2nd floor, with wood lintels. Ground floor double doors with rectangular fanlights.
Listing NGR: SZ4981989245 Grade II listed 1972 delisted March 2005
Mid C18 house of 3 storeys in red brick with yellow brick inlaid string courses. Pediment over the whole front. 3 windows, 2 blind on 2nd floor sash, moulded flush wood frames, segmental brick arches. Frame of original shop front remains but glazing is altered.
Listing NGR: SZ4982089232 Grade II listed 1972 delisted March 2005
Early C19 3 storeys grey headers with red brick dressings, the centre is slightly recessed. Gable end slate roof, wood eaves cornice. Paired sash windows 2nd floor, moulded flush wood frame, block sill. 1st floor shallow 3 light bay window, no glazing bars, plain strips shallow projecting cornice, panelled apron. Ground floor window, recessed, sash no glazing bars, block sill. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels with rectangular fanlight. Doorcase of panelled Doric pilasters, frieze and shallow cornice.
Listing NGR: SZ4981389240 Grade II listed 1972 delisted March 2005
Plaque – Rev. Robert TUTCHIN Vicar of Newport May 1654-removed Aug 1662, continued to minister till his death 1671. Founder of Newport Congregational Church.
St James’s Street
The Grammar School (1619) on the corner with St James Street (118)
Dated 1614. A 3 storey building in rubble with roof of old tiles. One large central gable, and wood mullioned windows, one in the gable, and the 2nd storey having 2 of 4 lights, flanking 2 of 2 lights. All have moulded drip stones. Ground floor has 2 3 light windows and one of 2 lights. Recessed door with moulded rectangular label and restored head stops. A moulded stone shield beneath gable window. Carved chimney piece inside. Charles I lodged in the building for 10 weeks while the Treaty of Newport was being negotiated. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4977589220 Grade II* 1953.
Attached Queen Anne House in same style
Attached in brick former school assembly hall/gym
No 56 (Lugley House)
Mid C18 house of 3 storeys red brick. Gable end old tile roof with grey header cornice, grey header string course. 5 windows, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat brick arches. Central door of 4 fielded
panels with moulded doorcase set in architrave with banded rustication, projecting pediment on shaped wood brackets. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4973089216 Grade II 1 October 1953.
1845 land purchase Lugley House
1971 Medens Trust
62-66 Roach Pittis, Solicitors
1880 purchase stable & coach-house and built 64 Lugley – Richard Pittis2
No 66 (Lugley Cottage)
Early C19 2 storeys red brick with grey headers, red brick dressings. Low pitch hipped slate roof with projecting eaves. Entrance bay of one window with lean-to set back. 2 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, rubbed brick flat arches, block sills. Ground floor original French windows both with wood trellis porches with glass roofs. Door is set back, panelled in moulded wood architrave, round headed entrance with rubbed brick arch and keystone. Good red brick and grey header
wall on street with stone coping, stone capped gate piers, modern gates. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4968889180 Grade II 1 February 1972.
68 & 70 Corner House
Early C19 semi-detached 3 storeys red brick with grey headers and red brick dressings. Low pitch gable end slate roof, wood eaves cornice. One window per house, recessed, sash, glazing bars intact 1st and 2nd floor No 68, 2nd floor only No 70, block sills, wood lintels 2nd floor otherwise rubbed brick flat arches. Recessed doors, 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed No 70, modern No 68. Semi-circular fanlights, architraves, rubbed brick arches over. Listed Buildings Listing NGR: SZ4966089159 Grade II 1 February 1972.
Queen’s Hall in conjunction with the Newport Arts Association, the Intimate Opera Society sent singers. The roller-skating rink, on the junction of Lugley and Hearn Street, later became the Grand cinema built originally in 1910.
1830 John TOOMER – Innkeeper
No 1 Town House
Late C18 2 storeys rendered painted brick on brick plinth. Gable end old tile roof, 2 windows, sash, glazing bars moulded flush wood frames, block sills. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels, plain reveals, wood doorcase of thin pilaster strips bracketed hood, 2 rendered steps. Listed Building Listing Grade II 01 February 1972.
1a Just You
3 Hellersley Court – flats 1-6
5 Hellerslea Fabrics – Dress Furnishinggs & Trimmings
Nos 9 to 17 (odd) form a group
No 9 (Congregational Church Hall)
Early C19 2 storeys rendered painted rusticated quoins, plinth, blind bay to west. Pediment over whole front. 3 windows recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills. Central double doors, set back from front, of 4 fielded panels, rectangular fanlight. 5 steps up to entrance which has plain rendered surround, with cornice.
Listing Grade II 1972
Boots rear entrance
C18 2 storeys painted brick on brick plinth. Steep pitch gable end old tile roof with 2 skylights, wood eaves cornice on 4 brackets. 2 windows probably C19, recessed, sash, segmental brick arces. Ground floor window wide with vertical glazing bars. Double doors, 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, rectangular fanlight. Garage doors retain original frame with rendered lintel.
Listing Grade II 1972
Scotties – Fishing tackle
Late C18 refaced in stucco. 3 storeys with rusticated ground floor. Low pitch gable end slate roof, wide eaves cornice, 2 string courses. 3 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, ground floor windows are segment headed. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels, semi-circular fanlight.
Listing Grade II 1972
Late C18 3 storeys painted brick on brick plinth with moulded edge. Half gable end roof of slate sloping to No 17, wood eaves cornice, 2 double brick string courses. 2 windows ground and 1st floor, one on 2nd, slightly recessed, sash, ground and 1st floors glazing bars intact, wood frames, camber headed with segmental brick arches, block sills. No 15 shares entrance with No 17, doors of 6 fielded panels in reeded cases below large semi circular fanlight with radial glazing bars, swags
between, red brick arch over. 2 steps up.
Listing Grade II 1972
Similar to No 15 red brick with rendered plinth. One window blocked 2nd floor, the other 2 light casement. 1st floor 3 windows, one above entrance, later sashes in moulded frames. Door paired in unusual treatment with No 15. These premises are Listed Buildings Listing Grade II 1 February 1972.
19-21 Wessex Cancer Trust
23a Challenge & Adventure Ltd
Nos 25 & 27
C18 2 storeys red brick with some grey headers on rendered plinth. Gable end old tile roof with raised rendered coping to each gable with brick kneelers. 2 dormers, one gabled. 2 windows, sash, glazing bars, moulded flush wood architraves, block sills, ground floor No 27 altered to 2 lights sash no glazing bars. Doors paired in centre. 6 fielded panels No 25, 3 No 27 in C19 plain wood cases with bracketed hood. 2 rendered steps Listed Building Listing Grade II 1 February 1972.
rear entrance to Bugle House
The Bugle Tap
No 29 (The Bugle Hotel Tap)
A Mew Langton brewery tied house. Tap Bars were a feature of large inns and hotels that catered to the gentry, coachmen and servants were not permitted to share the same facilities as their masters and prefered the les pretentiou surroundings. Most Tap Bars were at the rear of establishments, but this was on the side of Lugley Street next to the gate to Bugle’s yard.
1879 Joseph LININGTON
1939 Fred Alabone DYER
1970s The Bugle Tap closed
Early C19. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Ground floor stuccoed, above painted brick. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact above ground floor. In the centre of the ground floor is a public house entrance dated 1878 which is good of its kind. The doorway is flanked by windows, all 3 having pilasters with incised details and cornice over. Listed Building Listing Grade II 1 February 1972.
The premises are now occupied by The Bugle Tap Restaurant at 28a.
Late C18 corner house with No 12 St James’s Street qv. 3 storeys purple grey brick with red brick dressings. Plain ront of 3 windows, sash, glazing bars, moulded flush wood frames. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels, panelled reveals, semi-circular fanlight, doorcase of engaged Doric columns with broken dentil pediment. Listed Building Listing Grade II 1 February 1972.
29b Lugley Courtyard – Flats 1-7
St James’s Street
The Freemason Tavern on the corner of Lugley Street and St James Street. (117)
Early C19 3 storeys painted brick. Low pitch gable end slate roof wood eaves cornice. Brick band between storeys, plinth. St James’s Street front: 3 windows, sash, glazing bars intact 2nd floor, moulded flush wood frames, thin block sills. Mid C19 public house front, Doric pilasters with incised panels, frieze and cornice, angled door. Lugley Street front 2 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills.Bay window 1st floor of 3 lights with glazing bars, plain strips frieze,
cornice and deep apron. One small round headed window. Adjoining corner on ground floor large window of 3 round headed lights with Doric pilasters. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, doorcase of thin panelled pilasters, bracketed cornice hood. Listed Building Listing Grade II
1 February 1972.
Originally known as the Angel, it was renamed when the Albany Masonic Lodge moved into its newly built premises. The inn survived up until around 1976 when it finally succumbed to the Whitbread closures, the site became a ladies dress shop (1994).
1871 William KING
1878 Robert SPARKS
1879 William ORGAN
1891 C SIMMONDS
The customers of this house were entertained at dinner on Monday evening last, through the generosity of Hyams & Co., and the landlord, Mr. C Simmonds, when 72 sat down to a splendid repast provided by the host and hostess. (Isle of Wight County Press 10 January 1891)
1915 John SIMMONDS
1924 Albert Edward PRESTON
1939 ) Mrs Emily Maria HARRIS
1951 F G BARBER
No 31 (Masonic Hall)
Mid C19 2 storeys deep red brick in mid C17 Anglo-Dutch style. Deep red brick heavy modillion cornice. 1st floor, 4 windows and plaque in centre, windows with architraves and sills on consoles, moulded cornices, articulated by composite pilasters. Ground floor blind arcading with banded rustication to piers, round headed windows and door. Central arch completed to form circular frame for relief of mediaeval ship. Ground floor has egg and dart and modillion cornice. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4978289192 Grade II 1 February 1972.
Above the entrance are the Latin words “Audi Vide Tace” derived from the Latin proverb “Audi, Vide, Tace, si vis vivere in pace” (“Hear, see, be silent, if you would live in peace”).
No 33 (Braunstone House)
Braunstone House School
Boarding and Day School for girls and little boys.
Principles: Miss Parker A.C.P. And Miss G Parker A.T.C.L., A.R.C.M. Registered Teacher
Assisted by experienced certified Resident and Visiting Mistresses.
1828-30 Mademoiselle Del RUE – French Teacher
This is essentially a Home School, and only a limited number of resident pupils are taken. The school buildings are lofty, well ventilated and thoroughly up-to-date.
The curriculum includes the usual course of study, pupils have very careful tuition in the Curwen and Matthay methods in music, and are taught Musical Appreciation in small classes, special attention is given to Drawing and many successes in the R.D.S. Examinations have been obtained. Pupils are prepared for the London Metric; Cambridge Local; College of Preceptors (Prelim). And Associated Board of Music.
A separate Kindergarten for small children is in the charge of a fully qualified Froebel Mistress.
Every encouragement is given to out of doors exercises and games. Tennis and cricket are played in the summer, hockey and basket-ball in the winter.
Fees: 25 guineas per term.
Entire charge taken of children whose parents reside abroad. Anglo-Indian, Colonial and Foreign.
Source: Paton’s List of Schools.
Notes: Guinea = £1-1s.0d. (1971 = £1 5p)
It is believed that the school closed in the early 1950s.
C18 2 storeys and attic, painted brick. Gable end tiled roof. 6 windows and one window space, 3 windows in large curved bay to west faced with wood grooved in imitation of masonry with a modillion cornice over. Windows sash, glazing bars, moulded flush wood frames, block sills. 2 modern windows in original style added to ground floor. Doorway with flat hood over on brackets.
Listed Building Listing Grade II 1 February 1972.
Braunstone Antique Galleries
The site is now occupied by Lugley of Newport, restaurant. Also Braunstone House Hotel.
2016 – closed
Post Office Lane
Rear Entrance to Old Post Office in High Street (Castlehold)
Horse & Jockey inn
1803 James JOLLIFFE – innkeeper
1828 John FOOMER – innkeeper