Lower St James’ Street

Lower St James Street and from 1861 also known as St James’ Street

This page will be updated shortly.

East Side

Towngate Retail Park
1 Brantano
1A Blockbuster – closed
Mattressman
2 Halfords

Lame Dog or possible the Dog & Stile Inn
J EVANS – dealer in Wines & Sprites
1867 no request for licence.
Mew Langton’s bought the lease of the site in 1918 and erected a shop, offices and a dwelling house on the site
Neat Bros – ironmongers
Marghams & Son
Olivia Court 1-5

—here is Crocker Street—

1 E E DOWNER, butcher
2 1971 Army Careers Info Office
2015 Newport Custom Tattoo studio – closed
No 3
Circa 1800. 2 storeys gault brick on stone plinth. Low pitch gable end slate roof, moulded eaves cornice. 5 windows, the outer ones breaking forward, recessed, sash, glazing bars intact except in 2 to south on ground floor. Central recessed door of 3 fielded panels, semi-circular fanlight, gauged brick arch on reeded imposts.
Listing Grade II 1972
3 St George’s Physio.
4 1971 Frank Cheverton Ltd
4-5 St James Centre – To Let 2015
6 Cheekie Monkeys
6a flat
7 1889 Alfred MCUINE – general dealer
Good Fortune
8 Speedy Pizza – closed
9 1904 S J JEANS, Photography
The Fireplace
10 Gaming Centre
10a-c RSPCA
11 Charity Shop

11a Star Tap

1871 Thomas DENHAM/Mason/44
Charlotte Denham/Wife/44
Tom Denham/Son/5
1881 John MATTHEWS/Shoemaker/70
Amy Matthews/Wife/66
Thomas Matthews/Son, Cab Proprietor/40
Evelina BLAKE/Grand Daughter/11
1891 Thomas MATTHEWS/Cab Proprietor & Publican/49
Ann Matthews/Wife/37
William COTTON/Stable Boy/20
Jacob SIBBICK/Ostler/36

12 Star Hotel

The fine example of a Victorian town hotel occupied on the corner of Lower St James’ Street and Lugley Street.
1769-70 James HAWKINS – Innkeeper
1771-2 Jonathan TOMKINS – Innkeeper
1828-32 William NEWNHAM
1859 Benjamin WARBURTON
1871 Thomas DENHAM
1871 John ADAMS/Hotel Keeper/28
Louisa C Adams/Wife/28
Mary SILVERLOCK/Barmaid/19
Charlotte PHILLIPS/General Servant/32
1875 Albert Edward KING
1878 Edwin KING
1879 John JACKSON
1881 Sarah GREEN/Hotel keepers Wife/47
+ family
Isabel SCOTT/Barmaid/18/
Thomas KITCHER/Hotel Boots/19

1885 Mrs M GREEN

1889 Miss Rose Alice HORNER

1891 Rosa HORNER/Hotel Keeper/23
Alice M HORNER/Sister, Barmaid/19

1901 Edward MOORES/Hotel Proprietor/44
Hannah Moores/Wife/44
Mary A E MACK/Barmaid/22
Frances COLEMAN/Cook/23

1910 E H WALKER
It had a small adjacent tap bar facing into St James’s Street which continued to trade after the main hotel was destroyed by fire on 23 August 1910.
Alarming Hotel Fire at Newport
Early on Tuesday morning an alarming and destructive fire occurred which practically destroyed that historic hostelry, the Star Hotel, together with its contents, and the Friendly Societies Assembly Hall, whilst the tenant, Mr E H Walker, his 15 year old daughter, and the barmaid had a narrow escape from perishing in the burning building.
The premises were left apparently safe when Mr Walker and the others named retied for the night on Monday. Mrs Walker and four younger children were away on holiday in Southsea. There having been no fire or gas light in that part of the premises where the outbreak seemingly occurred, namely a private room behind the bar, it is conjectured that the electric light wires fused and caused the fire. The electric light had become defective and orders had been given for the overhaul of the installations. Mr Walker was roused from his sleep at about 1:45 am by the hammering at the doors and windows of his premises by a labouring man of Chain Lane, Mr Emery, who was passing by.
(see the whole account in the Isle of Wight County Press 27 August 1910.)

No 12
Early C19 3 storeys red brick with grey headers, red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof, gable to street with projecting eaves. One window, recessed, sash, glazing bars, flat brick arches. Recessed door of 3 fielded panels with panelled reveals and soffit, plain wood doorcase, reeded band to frieze, projecting cornice.
Listing Grade II 1972
12 Dress for Less
2000 cycle shop
charity shop

— here is Lugley Street—

 

13 Club
14 Creation Hair – closed 2015
15 1971 L & M Spieli
Charity Shop
16

Congregational Church
1662 Rev. Robert TUTCHIN – Minister

It was also recorded many years earlier in the will of John HOPKINS, Gent of Newport, dated 14 October 1680.
Man in the Moon.
1730-3 Francis HAYNES – Innkeeper
1735 William GREGORY – Innkeeper
1748-50 William TAYLOR – Innkeeper
1739, when the yearly rent was one pepper-corn.

Congregational Church was designed in the Gothic style by the Victorian architect Francis Pouget. Known as the ‘Great Chapel’, it was built in 1848, on a plot of land on the east side of St James’s Street secured by the trustees for £500.
Woody’s
BookerT’s Night Club
2002 Last part of church sold to Temptation Nightclub Limited
2009-13 Temptations Night Club
Directors: Nichole Gaskin; Robbie Hamilton; Stephen Charles Reynolds.
2013 J D Wetherspoon purchased old nightclub and former church building.
2014 These premises were refurbished by J D Weatherspoon and opened in May 2014 as The Man in the Moon.

17 St Thomas House
No 18
Early C18 house of 2 storeys. Modern shop ground floor numbered 18 but the street door and 1st floor form part of No 114 High Street qv. Painted brick with rusticated stone quoins. Gable end slate roof, 2 dormers, 4 windows, sash, glazing bars, moulded flush wood frames, block sills. The street door is recessed of 6 fielded panels with moulded wood frame, set in heavily rusticated stone surround with keystone. 1st floor room, 2 windows to north, has original panelling, painted over.
Listing Grade II 1972
1950s Smeeds on the corner of St James Street and High Street sold Brickwoods Sunshine Ales in the off-licenced premises.

18 Getaround Skate & Surf Shop
Joules of Newport – closed
18a Isle of Wight Country Club
Anchor, recruitment

—here is High Street—

St James Square
Was home to The Beast Market which took place there from 1532 to 1927. The space was also the Newport bus terminus before the bus station was built in South Street. St James’s Square also held an animal pound. The original drinking fountain stood on the site for man and beast.
Market Place
The main feature of the square is Queen Victoria’s monument which stands proud in the square that was paid for by public subscription.
Victoria Memorial
Erected in 1903, pillar crowned by Gothic tabernacle with spire and cross. 3 sides base with seated lions. Above 3 bronze angels in mediaeval dress, Dignity, Fortitude ad Sympathy, one in armour support a crown encircling the pillar up which grows Art Nouveau still-leaf decoration also in bronze.
The unavailing ceremony took place on 13 August 1903 by H.R.H. Princess Henry of Battenburg (Princess Beatrice, daughter of the late Queen Victoria).

The Half Moon.
1744-6 William TAYLOR – Innkeeper
1767-9 James MARCH – Innkeeper
1803 George MOTH – innkeeper
Conveyance 28th June 1803. Messuage at the corner of the Beast Market, now in the occupation of George MOTH and the freehold tenement and shop adjoining the east, in occupation of William CLARKE, perfumer, both of which were purchased by John CLARKE the younger and William Clarke from Richard WHITMARSH. This public house was demolished at the beginning of the 19th century and was situated on the corner of the eastern side of St James Square and the High Street. On the site was built The Isle of Wight Institution as designed by Nash consisted of a reading room and a town museum. It is a Classical building executed and detailed in Portland stone with a front elevation of an arcaded colonnade supporting a central pediment via pilaster. built in 1811, it is now used for commercial purposes at ground floor level and as a Country Club on the first floor.

18A The Blue Door

No 19
C18 2 storeys, 1st floor has been rough cast and wood frames applied. Early C19 shallow bow window survives however. 3 lights, sash, glazing bars, thin Doric pilasters to side, frieze and cornice. Ground floor retains frame of good early C19 shop front, the 2 windows either side
of door have been redone in early C19 style as flat sided projecting bows with glazing bars, the door is modern but retains earlier rectangular fanlight. Door and windows are flanked by original thin reeded Doric columns, on stone plinth, supporting frieze with reeded base and serpentine cornice. Side door recessed of 6 incised panels, rectangular fanlight and small panelled frieze below main frieze, flanked by same columns as shop front.
Listing Grade II 1972
19-20 1889-1914 Jordan & Stanley – grocers & wine dealers
Early Learning Centre
The Works

20 1913-96 Wadham & Sons, furnishers
1933 Bellarmines found at Newport
During November when excavating for a lift in Messrs. Wadhan & Sons premises, six Rhenish Bellarmines were found just below the surface in what was perhaps a rubbish pit connected with the Old George Inn. All were probably in good condition when lost and three remain undamaged. One of them retained a cork in position and was filled with liquid which was said to have looked like dirty water. All are of the usual mottled stone ware; one is plain, the others have the ornamental medallion on the bulge and the bearded face on the neck which gave them their name of Greybeard or Bellarmine. In shape they resemble closely bearing the date 1660 illustrated in the Antiquaries Journal Vol.XIII (1933) p.473, and therefore may be assigned to about the middle of the seventeenth century.
G A Sherwin
Proceedings of the Isle of Wight Natural History & Archaeological Society. 1933 Page 324.
Arcadia Group Ltd.
Top Shop – Top Man

Nos 21 to 24 (consec) form a group
21 Red Lion when the square was the venue for the beast market, in 1938 its frontage was modernised and the arched doorway and lantern were removed, the main entrance was closed and smaller doors opened into the windows on either side. Its new name was ‘The Cafeteria’.
The inn itself was very old and a Captain REDSTONE appears in the 1720 Ratte Book as the innkeeper, the rate was £5-5-0 per annum. It closed in the late 1970s when Whitbread decided to make the town centre a pub free zone.
1720 Capt. REDSTONE – innkeeper
1766-72 Francis KIDDLE – Innkeeper
1859 Joseph WAVELL
1871-9 Archibald CAMPBELL/Inn Keeper/42
Mary A Campbell/Wife/37
Alexander Campbell/Brother, Assistant/27
Fanny M HIGGINS/Niece/10

1881-98 Alexander CAMPBELL/Inn Keeper/38
Jane Campbell/Wife/37/
1891 + family
Mary A THORNE/Barmaid/24
Annie JUKES /Domestic Servant/19
1891 Bessie CHILDS/General Servant/15

1901 Charles W BUCKLAND/Licensed Victualler/39
Alice Buckland/Wife/37
+ family

1911-27 John Alexander MCQUEEN/Licensed Victualler/49
Annie Eliza McQueen/Wife, Assistant/48
Margaret Irene McQueen/Daughter, Assistant/18
Agnes Lilian McQueen/Daughter, Assistant/15

1939 Thomas MOONEY
1951 William EDWARDS
Converted to shop.
Blacks Leisure Group
Millets – Specialist chain supplying clothing and equipment for outdoor pursuits, camping, cycling and skiing.
2014 Costa

Nos 22 & 23
22 1889 Harry MILLER – dining rooms
Hotel & Restaurant
Age UK Trading – closed
22A Sweet Scoop

23 The Bell Inn. In the Rate Book 0f 1720, Mr Dunster was rated at £9-0-0 per annum. This was the highest rated property in the square at that period, which suggests that the pub was much larger than when it closed in the early 1960s. To give a comparable example from the same register, the Town Gate Mill was rated at £8-0-0.
The buildings on this side of the square have undergone many changes, there have also been ancient references to a Bell Lane, which led from St James’s Square to St Thomas’s Square, supposedly used by the bell ringers on their way to church. However no trace of this exist and there is some debate on the subject as to whether there was access to the rear of the inn for horses etc.
1720 -. DUNSTER – innkeeper
1730-4 Edward DUNSTER – Innkeeper
1735 – DUNSTER – Innkeeper. Widdow
1736-43 Robert HOW – Innkeeper
1740 William ATWOOD – Innkeeper
1744 Anne WHITTINGTON – Innkeeper
1745-53 Thomas HALL – Innkeeper
1751 John MILLS – Innkeeper
1752-3 John WELLS – Innkeeper
1766-8 Adam ALDRIDGE – Innkeeper
1769 Mary ALDRIDGE – Innkeeper
1700-2 William WARREN – Innkeeper
1859 )
1871-89 George KNOWLES – Inn Keeper/48
Elizabeth Knowles/Wife/44
Jane Knowles/Daughter/21
Polly Knowles/Daughter/19
Henry SIMMONDS/Brother in Law/21
1881 Caroline HUNT/Servant/13

1891 William A BRANDISH/Inn Keeper/28
Jessie Brandish/Wife/28
Frederick KNIGHT/Brother in Law, Shoemaker/38

1898 Miss Mary BARNES

1901 Edward J DEAN/Publican/44
Lana Dean/Wife/44
+ children

1910-24 S J WAVELL
1911-27 William Kellow BAKER
1951 Mrs S BAKER
Converted to shop.
Formerly the Bell Inn, Nos 22 and 23 St James’s Square. Mid C18 2 storeys cement rendered front. Gable end old tile roof. Good modillion eaves cornice and 5 large gabled dormers. 6 windows : 2 being C19 bays of 3 lights with plain strips frieze and cornice, the other 4 sash, block sills and with keystones. Modern shop front.
Listing Grade II 1972
Alliance & Leicester B. S – closed
2014 Nationwide Building Society

Formerly No 24 St James’s Square.
Late C18 2 storeys painted brick. Hipped slate roof wood eaves cornice. 1st floor bow window of 3 lights, glazing bars, plain strips, frieze, brackets at sides to cornice. Modern shop front.
Listing Grade II 1972
24A bite size
24 Central Fruit Store occupies the corner plot of St James Square with that of Pyle Street.
Capital Jewellers

Corner of 113 Pyle Street

—here is Pyle Street—

Upper St James Street and from 1861 known as St James’ Street

Nos 25 to 27 (consec) form a group
26 1889 Alfred BRANNON – publishing manager
Abbey National
Alliance & Leicester B. S.
Santander
No 27
C18 but with early C19 rendering to front, painted. Gable end slate roof, eaves hidden by parapet and moulded cornice. 2 dormers, sash with glazing bars. 2 storeys, 4 windows and one in recessed slate hung bay with new roof. Windows sash, no glazing bars, slightly recessed moulded frames. Modern windows ground floor. Plinth. Recessed door modern facsimile 6 panels, narrow rectangular fanlight. C18 doorcase survives: thin panelled Doric columns, brackets and projecting broken pediment.
Listing Grade II 1972
27 1971 Island Bakeries Ltd
T M Taylor & Sons T M Ltd
28 Sir Francis Pittis, Estate Agents
Andrew Ely & Associates
28a Select Financial Services
Nos 29A & 29
Early C19 building of 3 storeys, gault brick, block string course. Slate roof behind parapet with pediment in centre, moulded cornice, 4 windows, recessed, sash, block sills. 1st floor 2 large bay windows of 5 lights panelled strips, frieze, dentil cornice, panelled aprons. Modern shop front to ground floor.
Listing Grade II 1972
29 1880s Albert Midlane, Furnishing Ironmonger, Gas-fitter, Locksmith &c.,
1971 R C GRAY
Ladies Realm
GAME

— here is South Street—

32 1889 JORDAN & STANLEY – grocers & wine dealers
31-33 1970s ground floor lock-up shops and upper floors Inland Revenue offices.
Next
34 1885 J WILLIAMS – Butcher
1970s BARNETTS
Oxfam

Formerly No 35 Upper St James’s Street. Nos 35 to 41 (consec) form a group
Early C19 3 storeys purple grey headers with red brick dressings. Hipped slate roof with overhanging eaves. 3 windows recessed, sash glazing bars have been replaced, block sills flat brick arches. 1st floor originally had flat fronted bow window, this has been replaced by 2 windows in
early C19 style. Ground floor 2 doorways with semi-circular fanlights.
Listing Grade II 1972

35 The Hair Lounge
35a 1971 A G BIGGS

Formerly No 36 Upper St James’s Street.
Early C19 2 storeys stucco, an extra storey has been added above and is tile hung. Gable end tile hung. Gable end tiled roof. 2 windows, sash, no glazing bars except on ground floor right, moulded architraves with cornice over. Doorway with semi-circular fanlight.
Listing Grade II 1972
36 Eldridge, Solicitors

No 37
Early C19 3 storeys stucco. Low pitch. Gable end slate roof, projecting eaves. 2 windows 2nd floor, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills.1st floor large rectangular bay window of 3 lights, sash, glazing bars, plain strips, frieze and wide moulded cornice, panelled apron. Ground floor modern.
Listing Grade II 1972
37 1971 Nationwide Building Society

Nos 38 & 39
One house. Early Cl9 3 storeys stucco. Low pitch gable end slate roof, projecting eaves. 2 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills.1st floor window to left is a bay of 3 lights with Doric pilasters, frieze and wide moulded cornice, panelled apron.
Listing Grade II 1972
38
39 Ming Gardens
40 Domino’s

No 41 The Grapes Public House
1875 R ABBOTT

1885-9 Thomas BERRY

1898 Joseph SHERWOOD

1901-24 Joseph G SHERWOOD/Publican/43
Martha E Sherwood/Wife/41
+ family
1901 William BARRELL/Boarder, Barman/44

1927 George ANGEL

1939 Edward SHIPSEY
1951 G R PADDOCK
The Grapes closed around 1970, it was a Brickwoods house to the end and missed the closure program to come after the Brickwoods company itself was absorbed by the Whitbread giant.
Formerly Nos 40 and 41 Upper St James’s Street.
Early C19 2 storeys painted brick. Gable end slate roof with bracketed eaves cornice. 3 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills.The centre window is a large 3 light bow with glazing bars, plain strips frieze and cornice. Modern shop front No 40 but retains doorway with semi-circular fanlight. Frame of Public House front retaining panelled pilasters, brackets and cornice.
Listing Grade II 1972

Bowling Green Lane

42 Duke of York

1950 A V GIBBS
Hair leaders
43 Stoteburys, Fish & Chips
44 Frank Cooper, Granite, Marble and Stone, Monumental Mason and Sculptor
Show-rooms and works
Feather Friends
45 Mason’s Yard
Flower Garden
Geoff Leather Funeral Directors
46
47
48 Plough Inn
A marked improvement has recently been effected by the rebuilding of an old hostelry known as the Plough Inn, belonging to Messrs. Mew Langton & Co., The old English half-timbered style has been adopted and the works carried out by Mr. T Jenkins. The stables and coach-house adjoining are about to be pulled down and rebuilt. (Isle of Wight County Press 20 May 1893)
1875 William URRY
1885 C SALTER
1889 Mrs Caroline SHUTLER
1898 A J HEATH
1901 George T MASS/Publican & Pensioner/64
Minni P Mass/Wife/32
1911 Walter GRIFFIN
1915-20 Harry JACOBS
1924 James ROOKE
1927 Mrs Susan HAYLES
1939 Maurice BETTERIDGE
1947 Mrs V TRESTRAIL
1949 Earnest DARBYSHIRE
1951 E A DARBYSHIRE
1977 A LAWRENCE
The Plough closed its doors for good in September 1977.
The premises were then transformed into shop premises.
2000? Wight Mountain

49 1889 Mr. Thomas Jenkins, Builder and Contractor, Etc., Slate and Cement Merchant, Monumental and General Mason
50
51 Cantelo Antiques

52 1889 Robert King – basket importer
Love Running
53 Spar
54 Bakery
1971 Paul R SHUTLER

Newport Youth Club

Continues with Nodehill and St John’s Place
[See under P. of Carisbrooke – Newport]

Other Trades or Professions
1597 Dr EDES, Dean of Worcester

1836 Magistrates
Sir Richard BASSET, – banker Richard OGLANDER, esq.,
Abraham CLARKE – tanner Percy SCOTT – wine merchant
Robert Miller WEVELL – surgeon

TRADES
1828-30 Francis PITTIS – Auctioneers, St James’s Square
George COOKE – Baker, St James’s Square
Robert M KNIGHT – Boot & Shoe maker, Atlas Fire Office Agent. St James’s Square
1828-30 Eliab POOR – Boot & Shoe maker, St James’s Square
Joseph COWDERY – Eagle Fire Office Agent. St James’s Square
JEANS & WHITBREAD – Hatters, St James’s Square
WADMORE & SON – Linen Drapers, St James’s Square
1828-30 John DUKE – Baker, St James’s Street Peter HAYBALL – Baker, Up St James’s Street
John NEWELL – Baker, St James Street Thomas WHITEWOOD – Baker, Up St James’s
William WARNE – Bookbinder, Up St James’s Street
Samuel HOWARD – Bookselks & Stationers, Up St James’s Street
Maria COLLINS – Boot & Shoe maker, St James’s Street
1828-30 John GRAPES – Brazier & Tinman, St James’s Street
M TAYLER – Brick maker, St James’s Street
1828-30 Thomas ATTWELL – Cabinet maker & Upholsterer, Up St James’s Street
John POORE – Cabinet maker & Upholsterer, Up St James’s Street
1828-30 John COLE – Carpenter & Joiner, Up St James’s Street
John MOORE – Carpenter & Joiner, St James’s Street
John CANTLOW – China, Glass & Earthenware dealer, Up St James’s Street
1828-30 William COOKE – Cooper, St James’s Street
John PEDDER – Cooper, Maltster, Up St James’s Street
Joshua WALLBRIDGE – Curreer, St James’s Street
Jas. SAUNDERS – Furniture broker, Up St James Street
Edward PITTIS – Grocer, Tallow chandler. Wine & Spirit merchant. Up St James’s Street
Thomas WHITCOMB – Grocer, Up St James Street
John MORTIMER – Painter, Plumber & Glazier. Up St James’s Street
William WEBB – Music Teacher, St James’s Street
Joshua CARTER – Saddler, Up St James’s Street
Richard POORE – Stone mason, Up St James’s Street
Thomas & William BUCKELL – Surgeons. St James’s Street
William COMPTON – Tailor and Draper, St James Street
Mary BARNES – Watch & Clock manufacturer. Up St James’s Street
Jas. GALE – Watch & Clock manufacturer. Up St James’s Street
Jas. ALLEN – Blacking manufacturer. St James’s Street
1830 Francis PITTIS – Post Master, Chemist & Druggist. St James’s Square
Rev. Peter GEARY. St James’s Street
Edward MORRIS – Blacksmith. St James’s Street
Benjamin HAYLES – Bookseller & Stationer , St James Street
William WEBB – Bookseller & Stationers, St James’s Street
Abraham URREY – Boot & Shoe maker, St James Street
James LEWIS – Butcher, St James’ Street
Nicholas MURSELL – Butcher. Up St James’ Street
John TOOLEY – Confectioner, St James’ Square
John PERKINS – Cooper, St James’ Street
Thomas LANE – Fruiterer. St James’ Street
John COLE – Furniture Broker. St James’s Street
Elizb. SAUNDERS – Furniture Broker. Up St James’ Street
James COWDERY – Grocers. Up St James’ Street