High Street (South side)
From Coppins Bridge to Castlehold/Pyle Street & Carisbrooke Road
1st recorded in 13th-14th centuries
|1851||John PERKINS||Shopkeeper, grocer &c|
|John HALLETT||Retailer of beer|
|1971||F & E R HOLBROOK|
|5||1852||John Charlton BLOXAM Esq||gentry|
|1852||Robert BLOXAM Esq||gentry|
|6||1844||Edward PERKINS||Marine store dealer|
Demolition of Nos.4-6 made way for the new police station in 1963, it serving as the new divisional headquarters for the Isle of Wight.
Police Station and yard
This little inn taking its name from a British Prime Minster, Lord Salisbury, had the unusual distinction of belonging to a charitable trust. Dating from around the 19th century, it was operated as a joint venture with a pork butcher’s business and the kitchen contained large coppers in which pigs carcasses were scalded. Consequently they were useful for preparing large quantities of soap distributed by the charity to Newport’s poor during cold-weather, the ingredients being provided by the town’s wealthier citizens.
|1844||Issac WATERMAN||Carpenter, joiner, wheelwright|
|1871-8||Thomas COLE||Pork Butcher & Inn Keeper|
|1881-5||James RICE||Inn Keeper|
|Maria Rice||Wife + Florence Rice/Daughter|
|Thomas HUMPHREY||Brother in Law, Joiner|
The County Press of 8 January 1887 reported that in 19 distributions on Wednesday and Fridays, over 5,880 quarts of soap and as many 1 lb loaves of bread were distributed.
|1889||Fredk John BOTTING|
|1891-1901||Jane E COOKE||Inn Keeper, Widow|
|1901||Lilly RIDING||General Servant|
|1908||John DELLAR||Licensed victular|
Newport Adjourned Licensing Sessions
Insp. Cass said the premises belonged to the Trustees of Newport Charity and the Clerk said that Mr B Roach Pittis, as one of the Charity Trustees, would take no part in the hearing of that application. The premises with the adjoining Barbers Shop, was rated at £19, with Income Tax of £24. There had been three transfers of the licence during the last three years. The licensee Mr John DELLAR, he was informed, paid no rent, his wife tended to the business during the greater part of the day, and the licensee worked at the brewery for Messrs. Mew Langton & Co., who leased the premises. The house was not required, as there were houses near with ample and better accommodation to cope with the trade that house was doing. Within 200 yards there were four establishments. The Police had no complaints against the licensee or the conduct of the house.
The Mayor and Bench were of the opinion that the Salisbury Arms should be reported to the Authorities at Winchester for Compensation. (Isle of Wight County Press 14 March 1908.)
After closure in 1908.
|1971||Duke Bros. Ltd||local building suppliers of Marley products|
The premises were used up until the late 1970’s when the building was demolished and the present structure put in its place.
|7||Advise Hub||Social Services|
|1662||Feoffment-a grant of ownership of freehold property to someone.|
|2 messuages, Lower end of High Street|
|George MARTIN||1) gent, Deptford|
|Emmanuel GREYSTOCKE||2) victualler, Newport|
|1760||Emmanuel GRISTOCK||Will of, proved 5 Feb. 1760|
|1769||Lease and release 2 messuages, lower end|
|Emmanuel GRISTOCK||1 ) deceased, Butcher, Portsmouth|
|Thomas WALE||2) Carpenter and Eleanor, his wife, Newport|
|1) Thomas WALE and Eleanor|
|2) Thomas HEWITT, gent, West Cowes|
|1770||Assignment of Mortgage|
|1) Thomas WALE|
|2) Thomas HEWITT|
|3) Joshua HARWOOD, Block-maker, West Cowes|
|1) Thomas WALE, Carpenter|
|2) Thomas COOKE, Distiller|
that the house at the lower end of High Street intended to be demolished and a meeting house built for the Worship of God after the manner of Protestant Dissenters called Baptists in and around Newport thereon and that land lying to the west side of such premises shall not be built on.
|1775||Certificate of Registration by the Bishop of Winchester of a congregation of Protestant Discovered of the denomination of Baptists, High Street.|
|1775||Charge at Ordination of Revd. Thomas TWENING of Downton, Wilts. By John STURCH, Elder|
|Charge delivered at Ordination by John STURCH, jnr.|
Set back from the street between Nos 9 and 10. Early C19 though the founding date is 1774. enlarged, including the present front in 1825. 2 storeys deep red brick with a full width brick pediment with painted coping, deep stucco frieze, with projecting centre panel, decorated with Chinoiserie incised pattern. 3 Gothic windows with intersecting glazing bars, the centre one wider and with continuous block sill on 1st floor, rubbed brick arches on thin stucco imposts. Central double doors with fielded panels blind pointed fanlight
with intersecting glazing bars, panelled reveals and soffit. Stucco architrave surround with flanking colonettes and roll moulded arch over.
|1774||T F THOMAS||Minister|
|1775||Protestant Dissenters Meeting House|
|1783||John STURCH – elder|
1838 Abstract of Title; with plan of Edgar CHATFIELD-CLARKE and others of a dwelling house and garden situated on the south side of High Street adjoining the Unitarian Church.
Nos 8 to 13 (consec) form an interesting group
Nos 8 & 9
Mid C18. Brick, 2 storeys, 3 windows, 2 being bays, with rustication between the storeys. Good small modillion cornice. Moulded bands. Panelled parapet. No glazing bars. Recessed central door, with simple fanlight and round headed architrave. No 9 has a mid C19 door with hood, at one end of the building, and projects with 2 storeys, and one 3 light sash window to each. Both numbers have tile hung ends. No 9 is later, but has a double gabled end, and brick bands continuing the line of No 8. Listed Oct. 1953
Nos 10 – 11
2 small houses of mid C18, of 3 storeys, but varying heights. Old tile roof. Brick.
No 10 has one window, one dormer and a ground floor bow.
No 11 has 2 storeys, bowed, and both numbers have doors with small pedimental hoods.
Nos 12 and 13 have one window each, 2 dormers, plain doors, and mid C19 shop fronts.
|13||1844||Ann PRIOR||Milliner & dress maker|
|1911||Mrs Esther BELCHER||shopkeeper|
|The Sign Co Ltd|
|14A||1910||Frederick William COOKE|
Nos 15 & 16
Early C19. 3 storeys grey headers with red brick window and door dressings and quoins. No 15 has a hipped slate roof, wood eaves cornice, 4 windows recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills. 2 bay windows on 1st floor of 3 lights with slightly bowed fronts, plain strips, frieze, moulded cornice and panelled aprons. Recessed door with semi-circular fanlight and a depressed carriage arch with panelled double doors. Listed 1972
|15||1844||John HAYLES builder|
|1844-51||John HAYLES builder, carpenter & joiner|
|1971||W H BULLOCK|
No 16 has a block string course , a tiled roof with 2 hipped dormers, 4 windows as on No 15, but no bays. Recessed fielded panelled door flanked by fluted Doric pilasters with pediment over.
|16||1844-51||Charles CROOK||Cabinet maker & upholsterer|
|Charles CROOK||Furniture broker|
|17||1844||Francis CHEVERTON||Shopkeeper, grocers &c|
|1844-51||Francis CHEVERTON||Tailor & draper|
|1851||Sarah Elizabeth NOBBS||Milliner & dressmaker|
|1923-31||E J EDGAR||last island clay pipe maker|
Nos 19 & 20
Mid C18 house divided in 2. 2 storeys purple grey brick, rubbed brick dressings, block string course in brick and small plinth, Modern slate roof behind panelled parapet with stone coping. 2 dormers. 5 windows facing street, recessed, sash, no glazing bars, block sills, flat rubbed brick arches. The centre breaks forward with one round headed window over the door. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels semi-circular fanlight, good doorcase of fluted Doric pilasters, broken pediment with dentils
and small modillions.
East front of red brick with grey headers, 5 windows, one blind to north on 1st floor, 3 in centred bay through both storeys, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat rubbed brick arches.
|18||1851||CHEVERTON & MOOREY||Builders, carpenters & joiners, stone masons|
|QS||Furniture – closed|
|20||1851||Peter Evan TURNBUU Esq||gentry|
|Woolwich Equitable Building Society|
Hogshead No 20
After the Whitbread Company spent years during the 1970s and 80s closing down Newport’s pub, in the 1990s it opened a new one to meet demand. In all the years on the Island this is the only one they ever opened. It opened for business in May 1977 and continues until today.
The interior of the premises were previously Colemans Bookshop.
|1851||John PONSFORD||Brazier & tinman|
|22||1844||William WILKINS||Nursery & seedsman|
|1851||Charles FLUX||Butcher – pork|
|1911||John BISHOP||Boot makers|
|23||1844-51||Frederick COWDERY||Chine, glass &c dealer|
|Grocer & tea dealer|
|Agent for Guardian|
23 Medina Cinema
It not only showed films but also put on Christmas pantomimes, as well as Sunday evening talent contests.
It was part of local folklore now that this was where Terry Parkins was discovered, a modest lad brought up in Prospect Road, who went on to earn show business fame as Craig Douglas.
One advantage The Medina had was it was directly opposite Jolliffe’s shop. After watching the film you could simply cross the road and indulge in one of their legendary peppery meat pies and a bottle of brown ale. (Isle of Wight County Press, Wight Memories, 9 January 2015 by Brian Greening)
No. 23 Yates Wine Lodge
This pub opened in March 2003 in the derelict lower and front upper floor of the then closed Medina Cinema.
|24||1844||Samuel PRING||Brush maker, coal merchant, pattern maker|
|25||1844-51||Henry WAVELL||Chemist & druggist|
|26||1851||John Gubbins COWDERY||Grocer & tea dealers|
|27||1844||Joseph SAYER||Linen & woollen drapers|
|1851||James & William GUBBINS||Booksellers & stationers|
|Magnet & Planet B. S|
|27a||Walter Gray & Co|
|28||1851||James GROVES||Grocer & tea dealer|
|1889||Edward MORRIS||Upholsterer, Cabinet-Maker and Carpet Warehouseman|
29A & 29
Early C19 building of 3 storeys, gault brick, block string course. Slate roof behind parapet with pediment in centre, moulded cornice, 4 windows, recessed, sash, block sills. 1st floor 2 large bay windows of 5 lights panelled strips, frieze, dentil cornice, panelled aprons. Modern shop front to ground floor. Listed 1972
|29||1851||Joseph SAYER||Linen & woollen drapers|
|Registrar of marriages|
|County Press||Closed moved to Pyle Street|
|Connections Careers Centre||closed|
The property offers a wide frontage to the High Street and comprises two linked buildings dating from the late 1900´s, set out over three floors with a private car park to the rear for 5/ 6 cars. The property has until recently been let in whole to IW Council and is now vacant and available to let or for sale. It was formerly the headquarters of IW County Press
|1844||Jane GUBBINS||Milliner & dressmaker|
|1851||John Haynes MEW||Bookseller & stationers, teacher of music & music seller|
|Countrywide Residential Lettings|
Early C19 3 storeys purple grey headers with deep red brick dressings. Low pitch gable end slate roof, wood eaves cornice. 4 windows 2nd floor, recessed, sash, block sills, flat brick arches. 1st floor, 2 bay windows of 3 lights. Doric pilasters, frieze and cornice, block sills, Victorian
shop front, modern fascia below cornice, 2 windows, either side of recessed glazed door, divided by colonettes, the upper corners of the panes are curved. Side doors, recessed of 6 fielded panels, rectangular fanlights, flanked by Doric pilasters with fluted capitals. Listed 1972
|31||1844||William GUBBINS||Corn factors & mealmen|
|1851||Robert KING||Confectioners & fruiterers|
|1911||James Graham ALEXANDER||Solicitor|
|John G Murdoch & Co||Piano & Organ Manufacturers|
|Watson Bull & Porter||Estate Agents|
—here is Church Place or Upper Holyrood up to 1861
On the northern side of the square, that is joining with the High Street, it was considered the best place for the butchers to sell their meats. In 1618 the Corporation considered it best for stalls to be placed here where by reason whereof they cannot sell corrupt and unwholesome flesh to divers of the King’s Majesty’s liege people. The butchers were ordered to sell in the High Street or in the Butchers’ Shambles. In 1656 Richard RUDYARD submitted to the Corporation a “model of a hansom structure” which was to replace a house next to the Shambles, late of Widow BARTON together with four others properties he had purchased.
|1650||Nicholas LEE||Counterpart of lease by mayor, etc. to N.Lee of Newport, butcher, Mary his wife and Edward his son of a messuage, etc, which premises were given by John SERLE, Esq., and Davis SERLE, gent to the corporation of Newport paying yearly 40s to the Grammar School and 10s to the old alms houses, near the Pound. NBC/1/63|
|1694||Robert MARTELL||Lease by the mayor etc. of a butcher’s shop … to a tenement now in occupation of William COLEMAN, which shop was heretofore in occupation of William RUFFIN and afterwards William GUYER, upon surrender of a former lease dated 28 February 1675 to John ALEXANDER. NBC/1/88|
|1694||Joan HARVEY||Lease by the mayor etc., a widow, of a messuage etc., wherein John CLARKE and Temperance his wife sometime dwelt and now in occupation of said Joan Harvey with backside and garden adjoining (½ place) heretofore granted by John SERLE Esq., and Daniel SERLE, gent to the corporation of Newport, for the maintenance of the school and almshouses.|
|1697||Peter RIDGE||Lease for 51 years by the mayor, etc., P.R., of London, gent of a shop in the butcher’s shambles (No 5), beginning and counting from the east end of the same shambles, now in occupation of John GIAR, butcher, on surrender of a lease dated 9 August 1682 to Stephen REYNOLDS, grocer, deceased.|
|1697||Elizabeth Moore||Of Westminster, widow… also 1 messuage now in occupation of Elizabeth COLEMAN, widow, and all those 3 shops, now or late used for butchers shops whereof one is in occupation of said Elizabeth Coleman and the other two of Joan Harvey, widow. Also an outhouse used as a kitchen to the now dwelling house of Elizabeth Coleman.|
|Elizabeth Moore||All on S.W. Part of the Butchers Shambles, on the south side of High Street, except for a passage through the said Butchers Shambles leading to the house of William TRICKETT, apothecary, on the west side of the alley.
The above is part of the document under NBC/1/98
In 1759 there was at least six butchers shops in a row.
At some point the above Butchers shambles were pulled down and a new replacement building constructed on the site.
|32||1851||Kate & Fanny MILLIGAN||Milliners & dressmakers, straw bonnet makers|
No 32 Eagle Tavern
|Mary Ann HAWKER||General Servant|
|1875||Mrs Ann CALPINE|
|1881||William H CALPINE||Inn Keeper|
|Emily J Calpine||wife|
|1891||Robert W GEORGE||Licensed Victualler|
|Alice E George||wife|
|Charlotte WATERHOUSE||General Servant|
|1901-15||John A CREAL||Licensed Victualler|
|Dorcas Creal||Wife + family|
|Harry F EDNEY||Boarder, Barman|
|1920||Leonard James John MCKINLEY|
|1927||William John FORTESCUE|
Early C19 block. 3 storeys and attic in gault brick. Mansard slate roof. 5 dormers. Parapet and cornice, 6 windows, 1st and 2nd floors, one in rounded eastern corner, recessed, sash, glazing bars. Ground floor modern shops and late Victorian bar front to the Eagle Tavern which has small cast iron balconies to its 1st floor windows. The adjoining house in St Thomas’s Square (qv) is part of the same premises. 3 storeys purple grey brick with red brick dressings. 2 windows, recessed,
sash, only one with glazing bars. Narrow windows added to west on ground and 1st floors. Later door with flat brick arch. Listed building 29 October 1969
|33||1844||William LAMBERT||Printers – letter-press|
|1910-28||Morris department store||China dealer|
|x-1958||Morris of Newport Ltd|
|1976||Army & Navy Stores||Bought out by House of Frazer which ceased in 2006|
|34||1844||Elizabeth & Caroline STARLING||Berlin repository also straw hat makers|
|1904||Melia’s Stores Ltd||Grocers. F. CLEMENTS, manager|
Animal was conceived in 1987 by two surfers who were really fed up with continuously losing their watches in the water due to the straps breaking under extreme conditions. They came up with a solution in the form of a webbing and velcro strap that seemed to put an end to their problems. Animal has now grown into one of the UK’s fastest growing action sports brands, producing clothing, watches, eyewear, footwear, luggage and accessories.
|35||1844||Edward WILKIN||Watch & clock maker|
|1851||Alfred WARNE||Watch & clock maker|
|38||1851||George NILDENHALL||Breeches maker & glover, fellmonger|
|1880||J PEACH||Practical shoeing & general-smith|
|39||1844-51||William Barton GROVES||butcher|
|Jane GUBBINS||Straw hat maker|
Here is Cornmarket up to 1861 when re-named St Thomas Square
|40||1844-51||E A & M ROUTH||Fishmonger, poulterer, fruiterer|
|1911||Bishop Brothers||Boot makers|
|Lennards Ltd||Boots & shoes|
|Specsavers Ltd||Opticians -closed|
|1851||William MILLER||Hardware dealer|
|Louisa AVERY||Milliner & dressmaker|
Nos 42 & 42A
Early C19 3 storeys grey headers with deep red brick dressings. Low pitch gable end slate roof with wood eaves cornice. Broad wooden block string course. 4 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat brick arches. Modern shop front on ground floor. Listed February 1972
|42||1844||John EASON||Saddler & harness amker|
|1851||Edwward Ludlum HACKETT||Saddler & harness maker|
|42-42a||Clintons||Greeting cards etc|
Late C18. 4 storeys, grey headers with red brick dressings. Hipped slate roof and wood eaves cornice. 2 red brick block string courses. 2 windows 3rd floor, recessed sash, block sills, moulded flush wood frames. 1st and 2nd floor, 3 light shallow bow windows with glazing bars, reeded strips and moulded frames, frieze and modillion and dentil cornices. Modern shop front below. Listed February 1972
|43||1867||William POORE||Bookseller, stationers, pianoforte & music|
|W Gubbins & Son||Booksellers|
|1911||Archibald Gaydon BIRD||bookshop & stationers|
|1971||Abbey National Building Society|
|44||1844||Robert HOPKINS||Lace manufactures|
|1851||Wadmore Brothers||Tailor, draper & clothes dealer|
|1913||Wadham & Sons|
|1932||TRUSCOTT||Ladies & gents|
|45||1844-51||William WAY & Son||Grocer, tea dealer, tallow chandler, maltster|
|1844-51||William Whitehead WAY||As above|
|1911||John Kenneth ALDERSLADE||Painter & decorator|
|1930||John Kenneth ALDERSLADE||Builders Decorators merchants|
|Top floor indoor bowling rink (winter only)|
|Holland & Barrett Health Foods|
Nos 46 & 47
Early C19. 3 storeys grey headers with red brick dressings. Gable end old tile roof and header eaves cornice. 4 windows 2nd floor, casements No 46, sash, no glazing bars, casements No 46, sash, no glazing bars No 47, all with block sills and moulded flush wood frames. Bow windows on 1st floor. No 46 has flat fronted bow of 3 lights, glazing bars, panelled pilasters, frieze and modillion cornice breaking forward slightly to front. No 47 has semi-circular bow of 3 lights no glazing bars, plain strips, frieze and dentil cornice, panelled apron. Modern shop fronts to ground floor. Listed February 1972
|46||1844||James ROWDEN||Perfumers & hair dressers|
|1844||ROWDEN & Co||Printers – letter-press|
|1851||SNOOKE & UPWARD||Book-binder, booksellers & stationers|
|Hayles the Jewellers|
|47||1851||John STONE||Saddler & harness maker|
|T M Barber|
1811. Part of the side elevation of the Country Club by John Nash No 18A St James’s Street qv. 3 storeys, parapet. 2 stucco bays and one in ashlar at the corner. 3 windows, sash, glazing bars, block
sills. Shallow 3 light bow window with parapet 1st floor of ashlar bay, plain strips and glazing bars. Listed October 1953
|48||1844||John SPICKERNELL||Grocer & tea dealer|
|1851||Henry DALLIMORE||Grocer & tea dealer|
|F M Beach||Hairdresser|
|Wadhams furnishers||main entrance in St James Square|
|1648-1880||George Inn||Occupied a site between the High Street and Pyle Street and was a substantial property running behind the Half Moon, the Red Lion and the Bell in St James’s Square. It was an old inn and became famous during the period of the civil war when Charles 1st was imprisoned at Carisbrooke Castle.|
|1668, June||Bargain & Sale
1 messuage with backside and garden, lying on the east side of the George Inn late in occupation of Edward PLASSE, father and William & Edward PLASSE the sons, Fee farm rent of 8s payable to the King (premises late parcel of the manor of Arreton)
1) Sir Levinius BENNETT of Babraham, Co. Cambridge, Baronet Judith his wife.
2) Richard RUDYARD, gent
3) Elizabeth his wife
Wadhams, furnishers have occupied the site in latter years after the earlier building was demolished in the late 1880s.
The shop in Newport occupied for many years by Mr STONE, the saddler, and in later days by Mr UPTON and the Mr CHEVERTON, was one of the oldest places in the High Street. Not a vestage of it now remains, but those who pass by the vacant place, may reflect that up to a week or two ago the site was occupied by a house at whose old-fashioned gabled front Charles 1st must have often looked in those ancient days. (Isle of Wight County Press 19 July 1890)
The George Tavern, where the Royalists stayed during the negotiations between Charles and Parliament was on a site where in 1852 stood the shops of Wavell (chemist), Cowdery (grocer) Gubbins (stationer), Bird’s (1952)
|49||1844||Befford HAYWARD||Clothes dealer|
|1851||Crews DUDLEY||Jewellery, silversmith, watch & clock maker|
|Trade Directories list|
|50||1844-51||William Henry MILLIDGE||Chemist & druggist also agent for Crown (fire)|
|51||1844-51||Edward JOHNSON||Linen & woollen drapers|
|52||1851||Edward UPWARD||Booksellers, stationers. Hardware & toy dealer|
|49A||Business Service Centre||closed|
|48-49||Monsoon Accessorize Ltd||fashion store|
—here is St James’ Square – see separate entry.