East Street / South Street
Shoulder of Mutton, a very old inn dating from around 1730
Shoulder of Mutton & Fowls
|1749-53||Mary HAYNES||Innkeeper, widow|
Shoulder of Mutton
|1863||John SIMMONDS||died 1894, married to Fanny Pittis.|
|1911||Mrs Jane HILLS||Landlord|
|1920||Frederick E HARRIS||Landlord|
|1921||William & Bridget BARCOCK||Landlord|
|1924||Mrs E STANLEY||Landlord|
|1927||Walter Chas EWANS||Landlord|
|1939-51||James McCARTHY||Lillian, wife off, ran the pub during the day as he also had Lamberts bakery in Lugley Street.|
|1960||Jim & Vera HALE||Landlord|
|1962-3||George & Frances BENNETT||ran for 18 months|
|1963||(unconfirmed) Keith||a temporary landlord put in by Mew’s|
|1964||Jim & Silva JENKINS||took over as it was being rebuilt.|
|1970||Geoff & Sally WILSON||Landlord|
|1971-3||Ian & Marion LENNIE||Landlord|
|1983||Malcolm CALVERT||bought the pub, refurbished by Horace Hill, the handyman at Calvert’s Hotel and renamed it the “Publican”bought the pub, refurbished by Horace Hill, the handyman at Calvert’s Hotel and renamed it the|
|“Publican”||Bill & Morag KILGORE/KILGOUR||Landlord|
|1984-6||Chris WALLIS||ran with above until he took full charge|
From 19th century census returns and later street directories, the Pittis Almshouses were located east of the Shoulder of Mutton Public House in East Street (on the corner with South Street) going towards Pyle Street.
The 1881 census shows six dwelling referred to as the ‘Pittis Alms Houses’. A 1931 Street Directory refers to them as the ‘Widows Rest Almshouses’.
They have long since been demolished.
Pittis Alms houses
|1821||Mary Ann CHAPMAN deceased||inquest held next door at the Shoulder of Mutton|
14 1986 Samaritans opened by Lord Mottistone and demolished in 2011
12 demolished April 2011
The area between here and Pyle Street is now a desolate redevelopment site.
Situated between Pyle Street and High Street and fronting onto Coppins Bridge round-about.
10B ) Private dwellings
8 Private dwelling
Ford mill stood at the head of the tidal reach of the Medina river, but it was not a tide mill. The Medina was formed into a pond which stretched back to the waterwheel of Pan Mill. The main body of the mill was four storeys high and was built of brick. There were four bays on the south side, and most easterly bay on the north side was a continuous lucam for the hoisting to the upper floors. The mill was separated from the road by a mill house. This was a fine regency building with good windows and doors, and was made of brick. This house had been incorporated in the mill during the latter years of the mill’s life. This mill was demolished in 1962 and its site has been lost in the creation of a new ring road and car park on the east side of Newport. The river has been straightened and widened to prevent flooding at this point.
|1852||William WILKINS||nurseryman & florist|
|1855||William Sheppard ROGERS, esq.|
No 6 – Ford Mill House
Small C18 house of 2 storeys in chequer brick with red brick dressings, inlaid red brick string course. Gable: end old tile roof with shallow wood eaves cornice. 2 windows, sash, glazing bars, moulded flush wood frames, block sills, flat brick arches on ground floor, the 1st floor windows have modern rendered lintels. Centred recessed door of 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, in broad plain wood frame.
Listing NGR: SZ5024089160 Grade II 1972
4 The Agency
entrance for parking
2 Ben Bishop, Insurance
|1839||W & E. GRIFFITHS||Attorney|
|1844||William GRIFFITHS & Son||Attorney|
|1844||John HARVEY & Son||Blacksmiths|
|1844||James BAKER||Groceries & Sundries|
Alehouse records – IWCRO NBC/6/1/58