Crocker Street

St Cross Mill is located in the oldest part of Newport and the last mill to be found on the Lukely Brook. The mill ceased working in 1939. Crocker Street originally housed local industries that required a good water supply for their trade, in particular, dyers, fellmongers, tanners and brewers. The brook was canalised to allow barges round the clock access between Mew Langton Brewery and Town Quay.

Named after a man of eminence. In 1621 a girl with that named went to Virginia.

With almost all building in the town timber framed and thatched roofed, the fire hazard was ever present. So much so that by-laws banned Crocker’s (makers of earthenware) from the town to its periphery and a copious supply of water; hence Crocker Street.

Many of the town’s tanners and dyers were confined here, so they had access to water for their crafts as well as a convenient means of disposal of the manufacturing liquids involved-vile mixture of lime, animal dung, dyes and water. These liquids emptied into Lukely Brook.

This refers to the stream as Summersbrooke, Crocker Street alias North Street.

It would appear that in the 17th century both names were in use and the Summersbrooke brought waters from the Gunville area to Town Gate.

(South Side)

No 3
Early C19. 2 storeys painted brick. Old tile gable end roof with tall red brick block corniced stacks. Originally had stucco parapet and cornice, plinth, 2 windows, casements of 2 lights, wood frames, thin wood block sills. Centred, slightly recessed, door of 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, bracketed hood.

Listing Grade II 1972

No 4

Early C19 designed in conjunction with No 3 with same old tile roof. 2 storeys stucco. Archway through both storeys leading to stable courtyard with living accommodation of 2 storeys in red brick to the east, stabling to the south ad store-rooms to the west. Camber headed sash windows with glazing bars, double hatches and double ground floor door with plain doorcase and rectangular fanlight. On the street front the archway is flanked by broad pilaster strips with banded rustication and. plain pilaster strips flank the side portions. Originally as with No 3 there its a cornice and parapet with a pediment over the archway. To the street the store-rooms have narrow rectangular windows on ground floor, lunette shaped on first floor with ornamental cast iron grilles.

Listing Grade II 1972

Nos 7 & 8

         Grade II listed, period property located within central Newport, rumoured to be one of the oldest homes in the area – with parts of the property dating back to the 16th Century. Brimming with character and charm, the property features, ornate panelling and cupboards, timber flooring, exposed beams and an ornate stained glass window. Although centrally located, the property has the benefit of off road parking, and an enclosed mainly lawned wall garden, with raised beds and paved seating areas.
C17 cottage divided in 2. 2 storeys rough rendered front, red brick sides. Stone capped gable end, old tile roof. 2 windows original small bayed casements with original iron frames on 1st floor. They
have tiled roofs on ground floor. Brackets supporting them. Small 2 light casement in centre of 1st floor. Plain cottage doors. Rubble plinth.

Listing Grade II 1972

No 9    Brewery Cottage
C18 2 storeys purple grey headers red brick dressings, plinth. Steep gable end old tile roof. One window, sash, glazing bars, block sills, moulded flush wood frames. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels. 2 glazed. Doorcase of thin reeded and diagonally banded pilasters, brackets and cornice-hood.

Listing Grade II 1972

No 10  St Cross Cottage

Nos 10 & 11
Early C18 2 storeys painted brick. Gable end old tile roof. 2 gabled casement dormers. 3 windows, 2 light casements wood frames, Glazing bars. 3 lights casements on ground floor, with panelled shutters. Slightly recessed doors of 4 fielded panels, plain doorcase with bracketed hoods. Listing Grade: II Date Listed: 1 February 1972

Nos 12 & 13

Early C19. 3 storeys purple grey headers with red brick dressings, plinth. Double low pitch gable end slate roof, projecting wood eaves cornice. 3 windows, centre ones blind, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat rubbed brick arches. Paired doors, recessed of 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, 3 Doric pilasters supporting common frieze and cornice.

Listing Grade II 1972

No 13 The Bakers Dozen

2 Chain Lane

No 14

Circa 1800. 2 storeys, chequer brick. Gable end old Tile roof. Wood eaves cornice over red brick headers, rendered plinth. 2 windows sash, no glazing bars, moulded flush wood frames. Ground floor large Cl9 tripartite window, sash, no glazing bars, plain strips, moulded flush wood architrave, block sill, flat rubbed brick arch with wooden keystone. Wide recessed door of 6 fielded panels with panelled reveals and soffit. Good doorcase of panelled pilasters and bracketed cornice hood also
with panelled soffit.

Listing Grade II 1972

No 15

Late C18. 2 storeys red brick previously painted, stone plinth. Gable end old tile roof. One window sash, glazing bars, block sills, moulded flush wood frames. Recessed door late C19 panelled and glazed. Early C19 doorcase of thin pilaster strips and bracketed hood.

Listing Grade II 1972

No 16

Late C18. 2 storeys chequer brick, stone plinth. Steep gable end slate roof with small dormer, red header eaves cornice, One window, sash, glazing bars, block sills, moulded flush wood frames. Painted segmental brick arch over ground floor window. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels
with same doorcase as No 15.

Listing Grade II 1972

No 17

Early C19, 3 storeys purple grey headers with red brick dressings, 2 inset red brick string courses. Low pitch gable end slate roof, inset red header eaves cornice, one window, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat brick arches. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels, semi-circular fanlight. Reeded imposts, rubbed brick arch over.

Listing Grade II 1972

Nos 18 & 19
C18. 3 storeys red brick and grey headers. Gable end old tile roof the eaves hidden by brick parapet. 2 windows, sash, glazing bars, moulded flush wood frames. Paired recessed doors, in centre, one modern the other of 6 fielded panels. Doorcase of reeded pilasters and cornice hoods.

Listing Grade II 1972

20-22   Hi-Q Tyre Service

23-25   Tile Superstore

25a

St James Street

26        Carpets26a-b

Nos 27 to 32 (consec)

The Lower or Worsley’s Almshouse in Crocker Street was founded by Giles KENT, who devised the almshouse and £100 to Sir Richard WORSLEY, bart., for the accommodation of five or more old people. Sir Richard Worsley by deed 17 May 1618 granted the almshouse to the mayor and burgesses and also a rent-charge of £10 out of the manors of Chale and Walpen. The trust property now consists of the almshouse occupied by six inmates, a small garden at rear let at £5 a year, the rent-charge of £10 above mentioned, and a rent-charge of £10 under will of Christian Roman of Shorwell. There is also a sum of £160 in the Isle of Wight Savings Bank. They were rebuilt in 1879.

21 February 1833                                                                                            W. Hearne. Town Clerk

(Hopsley’s Almshouses) actual title should read Worsley Almshouses

Built 1618 but re-roofed and porches added 1879 (date plaque in gable of centre porch). Single storey old red brick raised on high rendered plinth. Gable end tile roof with 2 bands of scalloped tiles, old tiles to rear. Wood frame casement windows leaded with diamond panes. Wood frame rough case porches on chequer brick bases with steps up each side and lean-to roofs to paired doors, the centre porch is gabled with finial.
Listing Grade II 1972

William Weeks, Clerk for Newport Burial ground.

Car Park

Telephone Exchange

Nos 37 to 39 (consec) form a group

37-38 C18/C19. 2 storeys chequer brick with red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof, No 37 had wood eaves cornice and flat roofed dormer with glazing bars. One window per house, sash, glazing bars, moulded flush wood frames, flat rubbed brick arches, block sills. Ground floor No 37, small bow window with glazing bars, centre strip and thin doric pilasters to wall, plain frieze and cornice-hood on brackets. Both houses have recessed doors of 4 fielded panels with doorcases of thin fluted Doric pilasters and bracketed broken pediments. The detailing on No 38 is of a higher standard. No 39 Early C19 2 storeys red brick with grey headers end red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof. One window, recessed, sash, block sills, flat brick arches. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels in moulded wood frame, Shallow wood porch with flat roof.

Listing Grade II 1972

No 39  Wynton

Early C19 2 storeys red brick with grey headers end red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof. One window, recessed, sash, block sills, flat brick arches. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels in moulded wood frame, Shallow wood porch with flat roof.
Listing Grade II 1972

39a-b

Ariel House

Myrtle Cottage

Mill Street

(North Side)

40        Corner Cottage

41        Dairy Cottage

42        Homewight House – flats 1-54 + Managers flat, built in 1987, shelted accommodation for elderly

46        Old Church House

1901 Edwardian Villa

rear Christian Science Church

2010    Bed & Breakfast

47a      warehouse

Cooper Beech

Drooping Ash

47        Newport House

Friends Meeting House

This during the Georgian and Victorian periods this house was one of Newport’s prized properties. It was at the centre of much social activity for both the nobility and gentry living on and those visiting the Isle of Wight as it was the town house of the well known Holmes family. The 1759 Andrews plan of Newport shows the house situated just upstream of the Town Mill with very extensive grounds going right down to the millpond and with a long frontage on Crocker Street. By the time the 1840 plan of Newport had been produced, the building which was to become the two story part of the Quaker Meeting House just over a century later, is shown standing alone beside the main house. Another plan, this time of 1862 and drawn just after the main house had been extensively remodelled and rebuilt, Newport House The Crocker St Meeting House Settling in & Improvements Meeting Outgrows Crocker St Meeting – 2nd August 1992 The Decision to move Crocker Street MH today shows an elegant formal garden provided to the west and a row of other buildings added on its south end extending right up to Crocker Street. It being the days of horse transport most of these formed part of a new coach-house and stable complex with the original coach- house across the road converted into the Charles the First Inn. However this notorious Newport public house, like the new outbuildings, except for the section that was destined to become the Meeting House, were to be demolished a few years later. By the time Friends moved into Crocker Street, Newport House had itself long been converted into flats and all of the surrounding ground to its south-west sold with workshops and housing built on it.

Waste land

St James’s Street

52

52a

53
No 54
Early Cl9. 3 storeys, rendered, rusticated quoins, 2 block string courses and plinth. Low pitch hipped, slate roof, wood eaves cornice. 2 windows recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills. Ground floor window tripartite with plain strips. Ground floor and 1st floor windows have moulded
rendered surrounds splayed in Egyptian style. Recessed door of 3 fielded panels same architrave as on ground and first floors with moulded cornice above.

Listing Grade II 1972

5556

No 57

Waggon & Horses P.H.

1769-72 William DORE – victualler, Alehouse

1803    Elizabeth COOLEGE – inn-keeper/landlord

1828    Morris MEW – Innkeeper

1830    Henry PORTER

1871    Charles MORRIS – Inn Keeper/64
Charlotte Morris/Wife/60
Matilda WESTHORPE/General Servant/17
+ Lodgers

1881    John DEAN    Inn Keeper, Widow/66
Frank STAY    Son in Law, General Labourer/30
Emma Stay      Daughter/36

Fanny Stay      General Servant/14
Arthur E ROW            Grandson/4
+ Lodgers

1885-91 Frank STAY  Inn Keeper & Carrier/40
1891    Emma Stay/Wife/46
Arthur E Row/Son of Wife/14
+ Lodgers

1898    William RAE

1901    Elizabeth ELLAM – nn Keeper/41
Mabel Ellam/Daughter/12

+ Boarders

1911    Walter ATTRILL
58

59

Large Works site

Nos 60 & 61

Early C19. 3 storeys chequer brick with red brick dressings, stone plinth. Low pitch gable end slate roof, plain wood eaves cornice, lion head studden guttering. One window per house, recessed, sash, glazing bars intact on No 60, block sills, rubbed brick flat arches. Recessed doors, 4 fielded panels No 61, modern No 60, plain wood doorcase frieze and projecting moulded cornice.

Listing Grade II 1972

No 62

The Blue School Foundation, formerly the Girls’ Charity School, is regulated by a scheme of the Board of Education, 23 December 1907, and possesses an endowment of £4,817 1s. 4d. consols, producing £120 8s. 4d. a year, of which £2,513 6s. 6d. arose from subscriptions and donations, £242 14s. 10d. consols from sale in 1889 of land and disused school buildings, and £723 8s. 9d. consols accumulations of income, and the remainder from legacies under the wills of Miss Scott (1860), Rev. G. Richards (1843), Mary Davis Parker (1876), Robert Bell (1880), and Miss Cecilia Scott (1888). The stock is held by the official trustees.

Dated 1761, formerly a School. Good mid C18 house of 3 storeys, purple grey headers. Low pitch gable end slate roof with eaves cornice of projecting grey headers. 4 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat red brick arches. In the centre on the 1st floor is a niche with rendered surround which originally contained a contemporary wood female figure (viz NMR photograph). Recessed door of 4 fielded panels with semi-circular fanlight swagged radial glazing bars. Good doorcase of reeded 3/4 Doric columns, panelled reveals and soffit, open dentil pediment.

Listing Grade II  1 October 1953

63        Dog & Pheasant

1846    notorious for prostitutes

St Cross Lane

64        Mews Court – flats 1-5

65        Langton Court – flats 1-6

The Manor House

Attested copy of deed of arrangement as to a debt of £2,023 7s. 10d.

Which (1) owes to (2), (3) and (4) and other debts which (1) owes to other people, and (1) has been declared bankrupt. (1) agrees to sell his half share in a freehold dwellinghouse, brewhouse, malthouse, storehouse, cellars, coachhouse, stables and other outbuildings and a tenement adjoining in Crocker Street, Newport, I.W.; and half share of five freehold messuages adjoining the above mentioned premises in Crocker Street, Newport; and half share of The Union Tavern Inn in the town of Ryde, I.W.; and half share of leasehold premises called The White Hart Public House in West Cowes, I.W.; and half share of leasehold premises called The Castle & Banner Public House and half share of leasehold messuage called The King’s Arms Public House in Holyrood Street, Newport. All the above premises belong to the said James Cull and his late partner, Benjamin Mew, in their partnership and part is subject to a mortgage of £2,000 to Messrs. Bassett & Clarke and half share in the capital stock in trade, debts and effects of said partnership.

Also the seperate and entire property of said James Cull, a freehold messuage, erected on the scite or parcel of land where lately stood the Old King’s Arms Public House in the Corn Market [St. Thomas’s Square], Newport, with a reversionary interest in a freehold tenement behind the same in Cosham Street, in occ. of John Adams; The Prince Ferdinand Public House in West Cowes, subject to a mortgage of £500 and interest to Barnaby Leigh and annuity of £20 to Mrs. Sarah Hill of West Cowes, for life; the Sandrock Hotel, Niton, I.W., subject to a mortgage for £700 and interest to James Day of West Cowes, with freehold cottage and stables adjoining; King’s Head Public House, Newport, subject to mortgage of £900 and interest to Mrs. Mary Gleed of Carisbrooke, I.W.; Waggon & Horses Public House and tenements and buildings adjoining in the town of Newport; Horse Shoe Public House in Northwood, I.W., the last two being subject to a mortgage of £1,500 to Mrs. Mary Dennett. A freehold summer house and tenement in Northwood in occ. of Mary Bence; a leasehold messuage called The Bugle Inn and Hotel, Ryde, subject to a mortgage of £3,000 to Messrs. Goodbehere and Butt; a freehold dwellinghouse lately in poss. of Thomas Sewell now untenanted in Crocker Street, Newport; 4 Ryde Pier shares; part of the furniture at The Sand Rock Hotel with fixtures and effects. Sundry debts due and owing. Farming stock and household goods and furniture at Merston

(1) James Cull of Merston, p. Arreton, I.W., gent.

(2) Thomas Ramsay

James Vickery Lane of St. Mary at Hill in the City of London, wine merchants carrying on trade under the firm of Ramsay, Lane & Co.

(3) John Gibbs of Wimborn, Dorset, brewer

(4) Samuel James Wadeson of Austin Friars, London, gent.

May 8 1816

Nos 66 to 69 (consec)
(Formerly listed as Malthouse)
The Office of the Brewery was the Manor House of Newport dating from the early C19, but it has been very much altered and added to. Adjoining it to the east, however is a contemporary Malthouse somewhat similar to the same Company’s Malthouse facing the Quay in Sea Street and to another in the High Street at (West Cowes. The,building is of 3 storeys, grey headers with red brick dressings and a gable end tiled roof. It has 9 window bays set in a blind arcade of grey header piers with stone
imposts and round headed red brick arches, the centre one is broader and has a keystone. The 4 eastern bays contain 2 storeys of windows with ornamental cast iron grilles, rectangular on the ground floor, semi-circular on the 1st floor. The other bays retain the 1st floor grille but have had sash windows inserted on the ground floor. Above the arches on the 2nd floor are later segment headed windows and a loft door over the centre arch. To the east is a slightly later block of 2 storeys in gault brick, the roof hidden behind a parapet and moulded rendered cornice. The front is articulated by 3 slightly recessed round headed bays containing 2 storeys of windows, divided by a block stone string course. The ground floor windows are rectangular with grilles, as on adjoining Malthouse, on the 1st floor recessed round headed with glazing bars, except in centre bay which has a large double loft door. To the east of this block is the entrance to the yard, at its northern end facing the Street a store and adjoining it to the east an office building which is about contemporary with the last 3 bays on the street. It is of 2 storeys gault brick with parapet, moulded cornice and frieze, a ground floor rendered cornice and frieze. Brick pilasters with rendered Doric capitals articulate the ground and 1st floors. 3 windows, recessed, sash glazing bars, block sills and flat brick arches. Central recessed double doors of 2 fielded panels, blind semi-circular fanlight and brick arch over. The store is late C19, 4 storeys in yellow brick with a full width red brick pediment with a bull’s eye with red brick surround and keystones, red brick string courses to each floor. 4 windows with loft doors in centre, except on ground floor (the westernmost windows cut off by wing up to 3rd floor). The 3rd floor and ground floor windows are round headed with red brick arches, the 1st and 2nd floor windows have segmental red brick arches. The ground floor has a wide door to the west set in a red brick rusticated surround with elliptical arch and keystones.

Listing Grade II 1 October 1953.

Malthouse Court – flats 1-22

No 70  Town House
Good mid C18 house of 3 storeys and basement, purple grey headers with red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof with moulded wood dentil cornice. 2 dormers, 5 windows, recessed, sash, no glazing bars to ground floor. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels at side in small porch and probably C19.

Listing Grade II 1953

71

72

Nos 73 & 74

Late Cl8 pair of cottages. 2 storeys purple grey headers with red brick ressings, inlaid red brick string course and stone plinth. Gable end ld tile roof with 2 casement dormers. Red header eaves cornice. 2 windows, sash, moulded flush wood frames, thin block sills, flat brick arches. Recessed doors of 4 fielded panels, plain wood doorcases with bracketed hoods over. The one window bay in the same style to the east forms part of No 34 Holyrood Street
Listing Grade II 1972

North Street

Dolphin

In 1655 there was an inn fronting into Crocker Street called the Dolphin which sat on land belonging to the brewery. In 1643 this brewery belonged to Thomas COOKE who sold it to Tobert SWEET. The Sweet family retained ownership for a number of years until it passed to Philip READ. William and James CLARKE then took over and brought in James CULL who eventually bought them out. In the early 19th century William Baron MEW bought the whole brewery site which dated back as far as 1500.

1657    William LAMBS, Blacksmith

Richard SWEETE – weaver

Deeds 13 December 1736

Mew Langton Deeds 29 September 1657

Further security by way of instalments on the Dolphin, on north side of North Street, Newport

(1) Richard SWEETE of Newport, weaver, Joan his wife

Mew Langton Deeds 13 December 1736

Counter part of Lease of one messuage or tenement, backside and garden on north side of Crocker Street, Newport, having the land of Stephen SANDER on east, the river on the north, certain lands in possession of Thomas REDSTONE, gentleman, on the west, and said street on the south, for five years at annual rent of £5.

(1) Whitehead RUTTER of Newport, chirurgeon (medieval surgeon)

(2) John STEPHEN’S of Newport, pipe-maker

Mew Langton Deed 1at/2nd July 1766

Trades:

1736 John STEPHENS – Pipe maker Whitehead RUTTER – Surgeon
1828 C J BUNCOMBE – Boy’s day Academies Francis WORSLEY – Attorney
ames MALSER – Baker Benjamin MOW – Brewer
James PERRESS, jun. – Norwich Fire Office AgentElizabeth KING – Grocer & General dealer
1828-30 John SELF – Grocer & General dealerJohn PAUL – Miller
1828-30 William CANTLOW – Gun maker J B MEARMAN – Wool dealer
1830 John ETHERIDGE – AcademiesWilliam MEW – Academies
John SELF – BakerGeorge MILDENHALL – Breechers maker & Gloves, Fellmonger
Benjamin MEW – BrewerJohn & William TUCKER – Dyers
James Perress – Norwich Union Fire etc Office AgentJames JOLLIFFE – Furniture Broker
Jane MEW – Milliner & DressmakerJno. DASHWOOD – Painter
William MEW – Shopkeeper & GeneralThomas ELDRIDGE – Timber Merchant