Toll-house was on the eastern side of the bridge, to deal with persons travelling on the old Ryde Road over Staplers Heath and from East Cowes.
Coppin’s Bridge was located at the east end of the High Street. The bridge was also known as Gods bridge (Hockey 1991, Map 11).
The stone one that exists there to this day was built in 1828 and this would tie in with the Highway Commissioners, who were formed in 1813 with orders to sort out the Islands road system and no doubt sanctioned this bridge.
This coincides with the time when the entrance to the town at this point was widened. Barges of coal would come up as far as East Street and go beneath the bridge where there was a coal wharf.
In 1832, (the year of the Reform Act), Newport Corporation granted the Churchwardens and Overseers a 30 year lease on a piece of land alongside the river Medina between today’s Coppins Bridge roundabout and the ‘lift’ bridge onto the eastern quay.
This land was developed into the Reform Wharf at which coal for the poor could be delivered without payment of any wharfage dues.
All signs of the wharf have long since disappeared apart from the inscribed stone blocks which formed part of the wharf and which are now incorporated in the parapet of the Coppins Bridge pedestrian bridge at the bottom of Newport High Street.
Passing over Coppins Bridge on the right,
1886 Road layout
High Street to Ryde Road and St Paul’s Road
Edwin COOPER, builder
James W STEELE – Coppins house
—here is Barton’s grove—
Mrs Emma SWATHERIDGE, brewer
28 June 1803 – Freehold messuage with stables, outhouses belonging, situated near Coppins Bridge called the White Lion, now in occupation of Thomas FELLOWS, formerly purchased by Richard NEWNHAM. (Ward Estate Documents.) It is believed to date from 1738 and was in use in 1879 when the Newport to Sandown railway bridge was being constructed. It was closed around 1912.
1803 Thomas FELLOWS – innkeeper
1828-39 John LININGTON
1875 G H PRAGNELL
1885-98 William URRY
1901 William URRY/Inn Keeper/65
Florence Urry/Daughter, General Servant/23
Arthur Urry/Son, Gas Company Clerk/16
1911 John Edwin Urry
Henry WHEELER, boot maker
George Grey BURNETT, grocer
Charles MOODY, hurdle maker
—here are Broadlands, St Paul’s road & Fairlee road—
Thomas KIMBER, shoe smith, Snooke hill
George OSBORNE, coach builder
Newport Gas & Coke Company. Joseph REED, engineer
Dating from the early part of the 19th century, this little working man’s pub was conveniently placed to capture the trade emanating from the workers of the Gasworks, and also many employed on Newport Quay who used the footpath that ran beneath the railway arches.
The Coopers Arms was one of a row of buildings on the town side of Snook’s Hill. The row was divided into two blocks by a lane leading to the old Gasworks site. The Coopers Arms occupied the site on the lower corner of the lane, on the opposite side was the Victoria Inn.
1828-30 Jonathan BUNGAY
1839 Stephen BUNGEY
1875 Samuel Thompson
1885 Harry Clive Brown
1898 F Prangnell
1901-20 Fred Prangnell/Publican/30
Elizabeth Jane Prangnell/Wife/28
Ellen Frances Read/Step Daughter/11
1927 Mrs Elizabeth Prangnell
Arron SHEAF, shopkeeper
This was a very old inn dating from around 1740, there is a listing for it in the 1750 Directory and it must have had a good trade based on the river traffic as the area was part of the old Newport quay.
1750-72 Richard ENOCH – Innkeeper
28 June 1803 – Freehold messuage or tenement with outhouses on the north side and at the lower end of the High Street near Coppins Bridge, called the Globe, now in occupation of James CALCOTT.
It closed in the 1920’s and its beams, windows and oak panelling were auctioned off during the demolition
5 June 1926
On Saturday, an important addition to the list of industries in the Island was made by the opening of an ice-making factory. The ice-making plant consists of a compressor capable of producing 10 tons of ice in 24 hours.
The demand for many years has been largely catered for by the I W Ice Company, an importer of ice from the mainland.
Its appearance in the 1888 trade directory gave rise to this new pub, it closed in the late 1920’s and for many years was a shop and hairdresser’s. With the new roundabout this building along with many others was swept away.
1880s J Hewett SHARLAND -Coal Merchants