Upper St James Street to New Street
Chapel Street is probably so named because the whole of the land on the west side of Nodehill, over part of which the street runs, was called ‘Chapel Close’.
Chapel-street and Union-street were laid out of land that was a garden known as Gould’s Garden, entrance between Nodehill Chapel and Mr Rugg’s photographic establishment.
Left hand side from St James Street
|Live Wire – closed|
|Rear of Farmhouse Fayre|
|1||1889||Charles TURTLE – carrier|
|1900-24||Charles MATTHEWS – town carrier|
—here is Trafalgar Lane—
2 Alma House
Circa 1856, 3 storey, stucco, flanked by Doric pilasters, frieze, block string course, plinth. Low pitch hipped slate roof, wide moulded eaves cornice. 2 windows, recessed sash, glazing bars, moulded stucco surrounds, block sill. Ground floor with round headed lights, Doric pilasters and moulded arches over. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels, upper 2 round headed, semi-circular fanlight and stucco arch over. Listed Grade II, 1972
|4a||The design Centre|
|Delta Architectural Services Ltd|
|5a to 7||Private houses|
—here is Union Street—
|8 to 14a||Private Houses|
|15||Medina Veterinary Group|
—here is New Street—
Right hand side from St James Street
|Island Bedding Centre|
|R G DIXCEY|
|42||Jame E Mosque Islamic Community Centre|
|Garages x 2|
|38||Chapel Street Therapy Centre|
|33||1889||William MOORMAN – cabinet maker|
|32||Holly House Care Home (G Elliott & Branda Furse)|
|31a||Jjm Design & Construction Ltd|
|30||Chapel House – Vectis Housing Society Ltd|
28 The Magnet (beerhouse)
The original beerhouse dating back to Goldbourne Act of 1830, which empowered any household or ratepayer to open their house for the sale of beer on payment of two guineas (£2 2s. 0d or post 1971 £2.10p) to the local excise office.
On an early spring morning in April 1943, the Nazi bombers came.
They flew low over Newport, unloading their deadly cargo and devastating a huge area of the town.
During that terrifying morning, 20 residents — including two children, one aged 12 and one aged five — were killed and many more were injured.
Apart from the raid on Cowes and East Cowes, which happened in May the previous year, the raid, which became known as the Chapel Street bombing, inflicted the single biggest loss of life for civilians on the IW during the Second World War.
Scars from the raid remain in the town even today. In Chapel Street itself, there are gaps in what was once a row of neat terrace houses, five houses were wrecked and there were more fatalities, including two widowed sisters, Mrs FLUX and Mrs BUCKLER, who lived together, and a young airman, A. C. CARLTON and his wife, who were spending a short holiday with Mr CARLTON’S father, who was so badly injured he, too, later died in hospital.
In one house in the street, an 85-year-old man was spared when he was saved by a piano he was sheltering beneath, which took the weight of falling debris.
One survivor of the Chapel Street bomb was just nine years old when the enemy bombers came.
(IOW County Press Online April 26, 2013)
Car Park to Scarrots Lane
21 to 17 Private Houses
Lived in the street
|1830||Rev. John BISHOP|