Castlehold

Carisbrooke Road known as Castlehold.

Castlehold is the name for part of Upper High Street which was part of the Parish of St Nicholas with the parish church St Nicholas located in Carisbrooke Castle. 13½ places or plots (a place being probably a quarter of an acre) was reserved out of the lands transferred by Isabella de FORTIBUS and known as Castlehold.

1263 Benedict le TAYLLOR 1 place rent 12d PRO E210/8904
Geoffrey de LANGRED 1 place rent 12d
Henry de la CLIVE 1 place rent 12d
Henry le CLIVE 1 place rent 12d
John BARUN 1 place rent 12d
John le CHAYN 1 place rent 12d
Simon le FRAXINO 1 place rent 12d
Thomas le COMPERE 1 place rent 12d
William BESUN 1 place rent 12d
William le YOUNGE 1 place rent 12d
William WIGGOD 1 place rent 12d
Adam BAULIN ½ place rent 6d
Agnes relict of William KYNGERSSONE ½ place rent 6d
Hawise le CAMPERE ½ place rent 6d
Nicholas le PROTESTINE ½ place rent 6d
Robert le SARGARE ½ place rent 6d

 

The original Castlehold was roughly half a block either side of the High Street from the corner with Mill Street to about three quarters of the way to St James Street, slightly less on the south side.

Later, after it was absorbed into the Borough of Newport, Castlehold was still used but the extent became less clear, Newport Baptist Church is referred to as being in Castlehold but is outside the original area. Depending on the authorship and date, reference to Castlehold could be taken as meaning from the junction with Pyle Street to Post Office Lane/Castlehold Lane or alternatively the complete Upper High Street from Drill Hall Road to St James Square.

 

From end of Pyle Street

1 Off the Wall
3 The Brown Jug P.H.
1859 Thomas REASON
1878-79 Mrs Susannah REASON
1885-89 Mrs Jane PECK
1898 William PECK
1901 William PECK – Licensed Victualler
Jane PECK – Sister
Clara PECK – Sister
Edward PECK – Brother, Brewers Traveller
William COFFIN – Uncle, Brewers Cellerman
1911-15 Edward PECK
1920-24 Mrs Emma Jane DUFF
1927 Frank Jonathan SMITH
1939-51 Fred J BLACKWELL
1996 Newport Liberal Club
3 Chia Wing – general take-away
‘5-7 Box Simpson Financial
Marvins Estate Agents
7 1910 Cole’s wet fish shop
B M G – dieticians
Peter GILLET – osteopaths
Private Medical Care
9 1868 James BRADING

9 & 11 Cl8. 2 storeys red brick. Gabled end old tile roof, dormer to No 9. Stepped brick eaves cornice with projecting headers. Brick plinth. 2 windows. 2 light casement lst floor No 9; otherwise 3 lights with flush wood frames, camber headed ground floor No 9 segmental arch over, grey
header flat arch ground floor No 11. Doors 4 fielded panels (2 lights to that of No 11) with plain wood architrave, flat hoods on brackets.
Listing Grade II 1 Feb 1972

13 Private house
15 Private house
17 Hadland Estate Agency
Legacy
19 Private house
21 Terrace house – private
Nipper Court

 

—here is West Street—

From Castlehold Baptist Church

4 C A R Org
Churchill Estate Agents
Churcher Estate Agents
More (IW) Ltd The letting Agency plus flats above
‘6-8 1910 E J WRAY & Sons – baker & grocer
Wray & Sons. Provisions,Grocers & Bakers
Shanklin (High Street) Mgmt. Co Ltd
Fox Property also Island Lettings – Closed 2015
2017 THD Thairapy hair design

 

10        The Crispin

1705 – 1796 May 6. Assignment of lease dated 27 September 1705 for the eastern most tenement and garden, late of Richard BUDDEN, deceased, and which was separated by him from the tenement on the west side, lying in the parish of Carisbrooke on north or north-west side of the highway leading out of Newport and Castlehold towards the fields leading to Carisbrooke, bounded on the east by land of Emmanuel WHITE, on west by the Crispin Public House (late of the said premises) on north by lands of William WARDER and on the south by said street.

(1) John BUDDEN of Newport, carpenter, eldest son of Richard BUDDEN, deceased.

(2) John EDWARDS of Parish of Carisbrooke, miller

The pub appears in the 1839 Vectis Directory

1859 Henry WADHAM
1871-79 George Henry KNOWLES
1885 Mrs Jane Louisa KNOWLES
1889 John PARSONS
1898 Thomas HOWLEY
1901 Thomas HOWLEY/Publican
Annie Howley/Wife
Edi ALLEN/Niece
Fred KELMAN/Boarder, Widow
1911 William N WETHERILL
1920-27 Alfred WEST
It was rebuilt in the 1930s in the Tudor style
1939 Edward CHANDLER
1951 Edward CHANDLER
1971 J E MINTER
1991 David McPUGH

Whitbread in the early 1990s closed this establishment but it re-opened by the newly revamped Burts Brewery with a slight name change to “Cask & Crispin” in April 1994.

12 IMP Soft Furnishings
Hollywood nails & beauty
Flat 2
14 Wightcat Crafts
Flat
16 Martin Hargraves
Doris Pinks – flowers
Flat
18 IOW Audio Ltd
Music Central
Gold Tone Music
20 private
20a private
22 Mouse House private
F & G – private
22e Lloyds Chemist

 

—here is Drill Hall Road—

Properties or businesses from Castlehold Baptist Church or The Spectacle Centre are listed under High Street, Newport Borough.