Carisbrooke Road or The Mall

History of development
The current road network and many of the buildings in existence today were in place by 1862, although several of the buildings along Castle Road date from the late 18th century. The vast majority of properties had been built by the turn of the 20th century (according to the 1862 and 1898 edition of the Ordnance Survey map).

Archaeology
The Carisbrooke Road area was largely arable farmland until the mid to late 18th century and forms the main link from the Castle to the harbour. It was therefore strategically important in military terms and may have had its own small scale defences. This is mirrored by the presence of World War Two anti tank defences at the convergence of Castle Road and Carisbrooke Road.
Setting
The area is bound nearly wholly by residential development: mainly in the form of semi-detached and terraced properties. Larger scale, detached and semi-detached housing occupies land further out to the north and south, where recreational space is also evident. The northern boundary of the area marks the edge of the historic residential quarter and the beginning of the town’s retail core.

Materials
The common roofing material is grey slate although clay tiles are evident on some of the earlier cottages. Although red and grey brick is used across the area, specific brickwork and wall treatments define particular stretches. Yellow brick is the dominant material for the villas and their associated front garden walls. Painted stucco is wholly used along the upper side of The Mall (in a variety of creams and pastel colours), whilst Castle Road makes use of painted brick and render for many of its buildings: colours varying from Newport Conservation Area, cream to pastel green. The use of stone on boundary walls and the retaining wall along The Mall is a feature of the area. Height, mass & form
The predominant form is of terraces with small front gardens and thus narrow plot widths. Bay windows are common and are of vertical proportions. Towards the southern end of the conservation area this regular pattern is replaced by a row of large detached villas, set back from the footway behind long driveways and front gardens. Most buildings at the southerly end of the conservation area are 2-3 storeys high. At the northerly end of the road, where the housing nears the retail centre, this increases to between 3-4 storeys. Pitched roofs are prevalent across the area.

Typical Details and the Quality of Buildings
Pitched roofs and chimneys are commonplace. The green and white painted iron railings along The Mall are an important feature of the area (as they are along St John’s Road), contributing positively to the early to mid-19th century 3-storey buildings that they front. Bay (both bow and square) and sliding sash windows are widespread, and are generally painted white. The majority of doors are panelled and fanlights are a common feature. Many of the late Regency/early Victorian terraces have ironwork balconies, typical of the period.

Public Realm
The artisan terraces along the southern end of the character area are very tightly formed. Much of the built environment is complemented however by a spacious street scene: a wide, raised pavement lines The Mall. Although many houses in the area retain traditional stone entrance steps, all the footways are concrete paved. The roads are of simple black top and the curbs of pre-cast concrete. The trees along The Mall are bordered at their base by surround detail headed brickwork.

Trees and green space
A small but important green, separating Castle Road from Carisbrooke Road, provides an open setting for the on looking houses in the south of the area. Small front gardens and a line of evenly spaced trees along the Mall soften the urban character.

Views and Vistas
Long views of the artisan terraces along Castle Road can be seen from the Carisbrooke Road/Castle Road junction. Similarly, the wide pavement along the northern side of Carisbrooke Road allows for lengthy views of The Mall and its line of terraces. Several narrow roads offshoot The Mall: from Cavendish Place, Field Place and Portland Street significant glimpses of the late Regency/early Victorian terraces along The Mall are caught. Views from The Mall out towards the shops along the top of the High Street highlight the change in character between the residential quarter and the commercial town centre.

Sound and smell
The sound of traffic and pedestrians chatting, and the smell of vehicular fumes is particularly noticeable at the beginning and end of the school and working day. Newport Conservation Area – Appraisal 13 www.iwight.com/conservation Adopted 11 September 2007.

Activity and Uses
At peak times (the beginning and end of the school and working day) Carisbrooke Road is heavily congested with buses and cars and the pavements are crowded with school children. With several nearby pubs and nightclubs the residential area experiences a rise in the volume of people walking home from the town centre on weekend nights.

Carisbrooke Road also known as The Mall leads SW from the town centre – a fine exit, with long terrace of the 1860s on the NW side; three-storey and mostly stuccoed. Each house is two bays wide, but the first floor frontage alternate between having two windows and iron balconies, and single canted bay windows, creating an impressive rhythmic effect. (The buildings of England. David W Lloyd & Nikolaus Pevsner)

Properties prior to number 26 are to be found under Carisbrooke Road known as Castlehold.

Nos 26 and 30 to 80 (even).

Mid-C19 Italianate terrace. 3 storeys stucco with low pitch gable end slate roof, bracketed eaves cornice. Moulded 2nd floor still course, block string course above ground floor which has banded rustication. 2 window per house, sash moulded stucco surrounds, block sills on consoles to ground floor window. Alternating fenestration to 1st floor of 3 light stucco bay window, or 2 windows with pediments one segmental the other straight sided and with cast iron bracketed balconies. Recessed fielded panelled doors with semi-circular fanlights moulded stucco arch on imposts over. Grade II listed.

26 1904-11 Miss URRY
28 1904-11 Miss CHAPPELL
30 1904 William Henry WADHAM Assistant overseer
32 1904 Miss GIBSON
1911 Keat COOMBES
34 1904-11 Frank HENDICOTT
36
38 1904 Ernest DABELL
40 1904 Mrs BELLINGER
42 1904 James UPWARD
44 1859 William HOLLIS Bedford Arms public house – publican
1871-75 Mrs Amelia HOLLIS publican
1901 John E KIRBY publican
1904 Henry Charles HARDING Beer retailer
1908 Converted to private dwelling
1911 Henry Charles HARDING Brewers labourer
46 1904 Charles ROBERTSON
48 1904 Mrs WOODBINE
50 1904 Henry URRY
52 1904 Mrs WOOD
54 1904 Mrs WRAY
56 1904
58
60 1904 George MASON
62 1904 Mrs MORRIS
64 1904 Mrs G RUSSELL
1911 Edgar BULLEN
66 1890s Mr. GROSE superintendent Pearl Life Assurance Company.

A few respectable men wanted as Canvassers and collectors, whole or spare time. Salary and commission. (advertisement IOWCP)

66 1904 George Henry COOK
70 1911 Mrs FITZGERALD-GALAHER
74 1904 Rev. George SOUTHALL Wesleyan Methodist minister
76 1904 Samuel George DAWSON
78 1904 Rev. William R K BAULKWILL Bible Christian minister
1911 Rev. Philip CUDMORE United Methodist minister
80 1904 Edward Frederick Thomas Insurance supt.
84 1904 Mrs CHIPP

 

1911 Miss CHIPP

 

Nos 86 & 88 Westmount School
Circa 1840. Semi-detached. 2 storeys gault brick. Low pitch hipped slate roof, projecting eaves. 2 windows per house, outer ones in projecting hipped roof bays, flanked by brick pilaster strips. Windows recessed, casements with original glazing bars, block sills, flat brick arches.
Ground floor French windows with Venetian shutters, blind cases. Recessed doors, 2 fielded panels, 2 lights, flat brick arches. Joint tent roof porch with 3 wooden trellis pilasters, brackets.

 

86 1904 Thomas Edward BEACON
1911 Harry BRIGHT
88 1904 Mrs WILKINS
86-88 1996-2003 Douglas READING Methodist preacher and Schoolmaster

 

—here is Field Place —

 

Field Court

 

90 1904 Charles Turner CLARKE
1911 Tulse Turner CLARK
Mall Court – 10 flats

 

92 1911 Joseph BEVIS

 

94 1904-11 Miss Wroughton HARRISON
96 1904 Miss COLES
1911 Mrs Alfred COLES
98 1904 Mrs READ

 

On the left-hand side from West Street.

There was a chapel, recorded in 1406/7, described as ‘the town chapel of St Mary Magdalene’, which Hockey places on the south side of Carisbrooke Road near the junction with West Street (Hockey 1991, Map 11 p XXV; IWCRO JER/WA/11/1). The VCH does not mention the chapel but it does refer to a chantry chapel that was licensed in 1449. The chantry was founded by John GARSTON who intended that the chapel should supplement the services provided by the single chaplain of the town provided by the mother church of Carisbrooke (Page 1912, 263).

Bedford Court

21-41

21 has a blue coloured postbox in front garden.

35        1880s   Clement S BRIMSON – House & Church Decorators.

—here is Portland Street—

43 Portland House with blue plaque

 

—here is Portland Terrace—

63

Bedford Row

Bedford Court

Nos 69 to 79
Late C18 group of 2 storey houses in gault brick, plain but with some interesting details. Nos 69 to 79 have gable end old tile roofs and are of one window, recessed, sash, most with glazing bars. No 69 has C18 1st floor bow window of 3 lights with a wire frame window box. All have paired doors with flat hoods and blind semi-circular recessed panels over each. Slate hung gable ends to Nos 69 and 79.

77

1904-11 Mrs CREWS

 

77a Bedford Inn/Hotel

These premises still exist with the small Victorian wall mail box in situ. In 1992 a new glass and metal extension was added to the left of the building by Taylor & Co, photocopying & printing service.

1867 William COX Grocer & beer retailer
1875 Mrs Amela HOLLIS
1885-98 Charles Mew CHIVERTON
1901 George W DEVESON Licensed Victualler
Frances E Deveson Wife + family
George Deveson/ Visitor, Licensed Victualler
Margaret Lintern Domestic Servant
1911-1951 Maurice Stephen ATTRILL Licensed Victualler & Grocer
Ada Mary Attrill Wife + family

 

79 1904 Rev. Alexander W WELFORD Primitive Methodist minister
1911 Rev. Samuel AINSWORTH Primitive Methodist minister

 

Nos 81 & 83
Westfield Cottages
Early C19 semi-detached. 2 storeys gault brick. Gable end slate roof. One window per house, recessed, sash, glazing bars. Ground floor bay window. Plain doors in a shared porch, above which, on the 1st floor, is a semi-circular window with radial glazing bars. Listed 1.10.53.

85 1904 Miss E SILVERLOCK costumer

Nos 87 to 97 form a group

 

Trafalgar Road/Melbourne Street

 

New build

 

The Carisbrooke Road area was largely arable farmland until the mid to late 18th century and forms the main link from the Castle to the harbour. It was therefore strategically important in military terms and may have had its own small scale defences. This is mirrored by the presence of World War Two anti tank defences at the convergence of Castle Road and Carisbrooke Road.

 

Castle Road (New Village)

 

Monument                   image

Inscription

the inscription is very worn, and the last lines have been almost buried by the modern paving

SIR JOHN SIMEON, BART., M.P.
OF SWAINSTON AND ST JOHN’S
IN THIS ISLAND
BORN FEB 5 1815, DIED MAY 21 1870
A MAN GREATLY BELOVED
TO WHOSE MEMORY
EVER HONOURED AND CHERISHED
[….] ERECTED BY MANY FRIENDS

Park

Nos 101 Victoria House to 105
Circa 1820. Raw of 3 storeys houses in chequered brick with red brick dressings. Low pitch gable end slate roof. One window per house recessed, sash, glazing bars. Plain doors with thin plaster strips to wood doorcase, bracketed flat hoods. Grade II

 

Nos 109 to 119 and Nos 123 and 125 form a group
Nos 109 & 111
Circa 1840 pair of houses of 3 storeys red brick with grey headers and red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof. One window per house, recessed, sash, block sills, flat brick arches. lst floor rectangular wood bay windows of 3 lights, frieze, moulded cornice, flat roofs, panelled aprons. Paired entrance, recessed doors of 5 fielded panels 2 glazed, elliptical fanlights, red brick arches over. Grade II

 

Nos 113 & 115
Circa 1840. 2 storeys stucco. One window each, recessed, sash, glazing bars to No 113. Gable end slate roof. Recessed doors. No 113 has 2, one of 4 inset panels, the other later partly glazed. No 115 has 4 centred arched door, of 3 full length fielded panels, reaching up into square headed fanlight.
Nos 117 & 119
Circa 1840, similar to Nos 109 and 111 but without 1st floor bay windows.
No 119 has modern door.
Nos 123 & 125
Early C19 pair of houses of 2 storeys in gault brick. Gable end slate roof, projecting wood eaves. 2 windows No 123, 3 to No 125 the centre one wider, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat brick arches. Recessed doors, modern No 123, No 125 has 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, semi-circular fanlights with 2 radial glazing bars, moulded imposts and brick arch over.